Lauren, from Mindful Mama, created this yummy coconut milk based ice cream, enriched with my Mounds candy! We couldn’t resist sharing it with you here, as I know that many of you are also fans of coconut milk based ice creams (like this Cookie Dough version). This is one yummy way to get in your coconut oil! – Kimi Harris
As a child I loved sweets so much I actually had a nickname in Italian (my family’s background) that meant “sweet tooth”, and my whole family would call me it! The almond joy and mounds candies were one of my favorite sweet things to enjoy. Since I am now a mother, feeding little mouths, I have transformed the sweet treats in our house, no longer using processed sugars and flours. One of the first recipes we started using in this transition to healthy sweets was Kimi’s Mounds Candies. They are absolutely delicious and meet any need one would have for chocolate or candy. This recipe idea was inspired by my love for coconut and chocolate, and these candies in particular. I’ve added homemade almond paste for an ever deeper level of flavor experience! This is a gourmet ice cream that you will not forget!
- 2 cans unsweetened and full-fat coconut milk (chilled)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup almond paste (recipe below) OR (1 teaspoon almond extract - gluten-free, if needed, & ½ cup slivered almonds)
- 1 cup ‘mounds candies’ (recipe here from The Nourishing Gourmet)
- Add coconut milk, maple syrup and almond paste to your blender and blend until well mixed.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scoop into a freezer safe container, adding 1 cup of chopped almond joy candies. Freeze for a couple hours and enjoy!
- 2 cups almonds
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons water
- Chop almonds until finely ground in a small food processor.
- Boil water and honey together and pour over almonds in the processor along with the coconut milk.
- Process for 8 to 10 minutes to thoroughly blend into almond paste.
Lauren is emergency department RN, doula and soon to be nutritional therapy consultant. Her heart is to encourage mothers to greater mindfulness in their decisions related to their family’s health. Her experience and growth in natural health has come primarily from mothering her three beautiful young children. Growing up in an Italian family she is passionate about real food– that tastes delicious! Currently her family is following the GAPS diet in order to address digestive symptoms and other lingering health problems. Her and her counseling husband are planning on living overseas as missionaries in the next couple years, where she aspires to support international workers in maintaining healthy lifestyles- spiritually and physically. She presently lives in upstate NY, near family and friends, enjoying time together before her family moves overseas. Visit her at Mindfulmama.org, and connect with her on Facebook here.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Cassava Egg Noodles - January 14, 2021
- How to Make Whipped Dalgona Coffee with Mushroom Coffee Option - April 10, 2020
- Making a Beautiful Pancake Charcuterie Board - April 10, 2020