There is nothing like a cup of steaming hot cocoa on a cold night. This recipe is so simple to throw together and warms you right down to the toes. It is lightly sweetened, and deliciously dark. You can make it dairy-free with coconut milk, or use rich whole milk. Maple syrup or honey are both delicious as the sweetener, making this hot cocoa free from any refined sweeteners.
We enjoyed our cups this last weekend while trimming our Christmas tree. It’s a family tradition that I think we’ll keep around. Top it with coconut whipped cream to be extra special! I like to use Fair Trade cocoa like this brand here (Affiliate link).
Classic Hot Cocoa
Definitely sweeten to taste. We’ve done as low as two tablespoons of honey, but some might find even the 1/4 cup not sweet enough. You can also use stevia.
- 3 cup of whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk, unsweetened and full fat and 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract(make sure it’s gluten-free, if needed)
In a small bowl or cup stir the cocoa powder with about 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth with no lumps. Combine in a small or medium pot with the rest of the milk and sweetener, whisk to combine. Heat to desired serving temperature and add vanilla.
Serve, as desired, with whipped cream or marshmallows.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Simple Mexican Coleslaw - April 8, 2021
- Cassava Egg Noodles - January 14, 2021
- How to Make Whipped Dalgona Coffee with Mushroom Coffee Option - April 10, 2020