By April Swiger, Contributing Writer
This rustic potato soup is delicately sweet, with caramelized onions and local apples, topped with savory gorgonzola. Not only is it nourishing-to-the-max with chicken bone broth, but it’s quick to put together and very frugal for even the tightest budget! This soup is simple enough for a busy weeknight meal (it has been devoured by my three year old son multiple times this week), but also has a touch of elegance with the addition of gorgonzola cheese in place of a traditional cheddar.
We’re officially in “soup season” as I like to call it. My crockpot is bubbling every week with homemade nourishing bone broth, and my freezer is always stocked with a few quarts for when I need it. Traditional bone broth has an abundance of health benefits ranging from helping intestinal disorders to the common cold (Sally Fallon, Nourishing Traditions, page 116-117). My husband and I have eaten a warm mug of broth, lightly salted, often when we felt we were coming down with a cold – and it really seemed to help!
Potato soup is a favorite of mine, and I’m always looking for unique ways to serve it. I currently have twenty pounds of local apples, freshly picked from a nearby orchard. Traditionally, apples are paired with butternut squash, or sweet potatoes, but I loved the idea of a savory sweet soup with the humble russet potato and caramelized onions for extra flavor. Adding some gorgonzola on top gave it just the “bite” I was looking for.
I love keeping recipes simple, frugal, and nourishing, especially in the winter months when illnesses abound. You can’t go wrong when you use bone broth as your foundation. It’s easy to adapt this recipe for your taste as well. Add more apples or onions if you prefer it on the sweeter side, or switch out the gorgonzola for cheddar or brie.
Here are some other soups you may enjoy:
- Sausage Potato and Squash Soup
- Creamy Ham and Sweet Potato Soup
- Chicken “Noodle” Soup (a grain and gluten free yummy treat)
- Pasta e Fagioli (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
And check out Kimi’s Cookbook, (affiliate link) Ladled: Nourishing Soups for All Seasons as well!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used russet)
- 3 medium sized apples of your choice (about 1-1.5 lbs)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Gorgonzola cheese to top
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pot. Add the sliced onions, a pinch of salt, and caramelize them for about 20-25 minutes until they are a deep golden brown. While the onions are carmelizing, peel and chop the potatoes and apples.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the potatoes, apples, broth, thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to puree the soup. You could also do it in batches in a countertop blender as well. I like to leave some chunks in the soup and not puree it completely.
- Top with a hefty portion of gorgonzola cheese crumbles.