Summer brings many simple pleasure; a sunny day, warm breezes, fragrant flowers, cool fruit. I find that winter calls for long simmered stews and hearty dishes. But in summer you can simplify. With a handful of this, a bunch of that and a few minutes spent washing, chopping, and slicing, you will have a refreshing dish to serve.
This dish is simplicity itself. A well-poached egg (from pastured chickens) topped with a sweet tomato and basil salad. It’s perfect for a warm morning when you want to start the day out with some protein but want something refreshing too. I love the sweet grape tomatoes that start appearing during the summer. One year I had several plants producing sweet yellow and red grape tomatoes. I am not much of a raw tomato fan, but when I ate those tomatoes fresh from the garden, I was won over instantly. Using sweet tomatoes in a simple salad really allows their flavor to pop.
Poached Egg with Grape Tomato and Basil Salad Serves 2- 4
You could also add just a dash of balsamic vinegar to this salad for a bit of tangy sweetness. Never refrigerate tomatoes, especially when planning on eating them raw. It changes the texture.
- 1-2 fresh eggs per person
2 teaspoons vinegar, optional
4 ounces of grape tomatoes, washed and cut in half
Small handful of basil, washed
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Unrefined salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place the baby tomatoes in a small serving bowl. Roll the basil leaves into a single “cigar” shape and thinly slice. Add to the tomatoes. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and hit with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Taste test and adjust flavors as needed.
2. In a saucepan, pour in several inches of water. Add the vinegar, if desired, to help hold the egg white together. Bring to a simmer. Crack the eggs right into the hot water and return to a low simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes for a runny yolk. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve garnished with the tomato and basil salad and toast, if desired.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- 2 Ingredient Peppermint Bark - December 21, 2022
- Herbal Hibiscus Lemonade (Keto, THM) - March 16, 2022
- Creamy Curry Red Lentil Soup - December 8, 2021
I can’t wait to try it!
sounds good…i think i would make it with an egg salad or chopped boiled eggs. i have never poached an egg b4 😉
I bet that the tomato and basil salad would make a great side to a egg salad sandwich!
How about some buttered toast on the side? 🙂
Think butter would ruin the purness – isnt the yolk rich enough?
Barbara van de Velde
Thank you – this sounds wonderful – and simple too 🙂
I’ve always been scared to make poached eggs. They make me think of the movie “Julie and Julia”. 🙂 Yours look lovely!
I love simplicity. It allows the quality of the ingredients to shine. Great idea to serve tomato salad at bfast!
Love poached eggs! I am impatiently waiting for my tomatoes to start producing, so I can try this.
Oh, this looks so good! So simple. I will definitely be trying it this week and serve with toast and butter to soak up all the goodness. Yum!
Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger)
Anything with tomatoes and basil is worth bookmarking. I hope to make this soon. It looks just perfect.
What a great idea using poached eggs in a salad. I can’t wait to try this one.
What a great idea!! I love eggs but eating them fried gets a bit boring sometimes 🙂 Thanks for posting this recipe as I also love fresh tomatoes with basil – yum!!
So fresh and lovely. Reminds me of one of Caprese salads – one of my favorites. With those poached eggs mimicking the creamy quality of mozzarella. Yum!