I recently had a small sample of this delicious recipe at my local store, New Seasons. They provided a recipe and I brought it home and tweaked it. This is a man-pleasing, delicious dish with potatoes, carrots, sausage links and bacon. All simmered together in a base of apple cider for a salty sweetness that permeates the vegetables. Oh so tasty.
Now I can’t say as to how authentic this is, but I can say that it is very delicious. I’m sharing this today in case you need an alternative to Corned Beef and Cabbage for tomorrow, but it truly would be a treat anytime. And of course, serve it with Bacon Irish Soda Bread and you will really have something special.
Dublin Coddle 6-8 Moderate servings
- 1 lb bacon slices, cubed
2 lbs pork sausage links
2 large onions, thinly sliced
4 large potatoes, peeled, and thickly sliced (about 1/2 inch)
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
6 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
pepper and salt
4-6 cups of apple cider
1) In a large pot add the bacon and cook over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Make sure that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot and cooks evenly by stirring frequently. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon to a bowl. Pour off most the grease, leaving just enough to grease the bottom of the pan. (Save that grease to fry eggs in, delicious!)
2) Add the sausage links and brown on both sides in the bacon grease over medium-high heat (you may need to do this in two batches). Remove. Add sliced onions and garlic and soften (you can add a little more bacon grease, if needed to prevent sticking). Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the bacon and sausage back in along with the carrots and potatoes. Season with pepper and add enough apple cider to almost cover the mixture. (I used about 4 cups of juice and added just a bit of water to almost cover).
3) Simmer, but don’t boil for 1 1/2 hours, covered. Check seasonings and serve one sausage per person topped with potatoes and carrots and some of the juicy broth. Enjoy!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Coconut Flour Pancakes - June 10, 2021
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken - May 13, 2021
- Tender Instant Pot Carnitas (shredded pork for tacos) - April 15, 2021