Simple dinners, simple dinners, simple dinners, has been my mantra lately. This quinoa bowl is one quick dinner that we really like. Fluffy quinoa is topped with homemade Mexican beef (sans artificial flavoring!), and topped with salsa, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, or whatever other toppings you’d like. You could do the same idea with rice or make a vegetarian meal using Mexican flavored black beans. During the hot summer months, you can put all of the ingredients on a bed of lettuce for a Mexican quinoa salad. There are endless variations, I’m sure.
I made a huge pot of quinoa at this meal, and then reheated or refried the leftover quinoa the rest of the week for a quick side. I love having soaked and cooked grain on hand. But sometimes when I am making quinoa just for this dish, I throw in some Mexican seasonsings, like oregano, garlic,red pepper flakes, and cumin – just to spice it up a bit.
A word about the Mexican beef recipe, this was a favorite among some of my recipe testers for my salad cookbook. It uses surprisingly few ingredients, yet is flavorful. We, as a family, really like it, and I love that it is so easy to put together.
Simple Mexican Quinoa Bowl
Toppings of choice:
Crumbled tortilla chips
Chopped romaine lettuce
Place a generous scoop of quinoa and beef in a bowl, and top with desired toppings. Enjoy.
1 pound of beef, preferably 100% grassfed
1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and dried oregano
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced or put through a garlic press
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Unrefined salt to taste
Juice from 1 lime
1. Combine the meat, cumin, oregano, garlic, and cayenne in a large saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring to cook evenly, until the meat is completely cooked through. When using grassfed beef, you shouldn’t have any grease to drain. If you do, push all of the meat to one side of the pan and tip the pan to pool the grease in one side of the pan. Remove the grease with a spoon.
2. Sprinkle the lime juice over the meat and salt to taste.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Tender Instant Pot Carnitas (shredded pork for tacos) - April 15, 2021
- Simple Mexican Coleslaw - April 8, 2021
- Cassava Egg Noodles - January 14, 2021