Bacon is fried up crispy, and then brussels sprouts are gentled-up by being thinly sliced and sautéed in the remnants of bacon grease. Seasoned with salt and pepper, this dish is a simple way to enjoy brussels sprouts which are in season right now.
Brussels sprouts can be absolutely amazing, but they do need to be prepared the right way. I don’t really like steamed brussels sprouts. The texture and flavor is just not right. However sauteing and roasting sweetens and deepens the flavor, and gets the right texture as well. This simple sauté, is delicious and easy too.
When you buy brussels sprouts, look for the ones still on the stalk. The fresher it is, the better flavor you get, so if you can get it from a local farmer, go for it.
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Serves 4-5
One idea I had was sautéing some peeled apple sliced in the bacon grease before cooking the brussels sprouts. Then you could sprinkle them on top with the bacon before serving. The apples would heighten the sweetness of the dish. Or what about some salty hard cheese sprinkled over it?
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of brussels sprouts, any faded or browned leaves taken off, cut off any hard stems.
4-6 bacon slices
Unrefined Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
1. Using a mandoline, food processor or sharp knife, shred the brussels sprouts thinly.
2. Fry the bacon over medium heat, in a large saucepan until browned and cooked through Remove from pan. Leave about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
3. Add the shredded brussels sprouts to the pan and cook over medium-high heat until it reaches the desired texture and flavor. Sprinkle with unrefined salt. I recommend either cooking for just a couple of minutes and taking off the heat when they are just turning bright green and still have a bit of firmness. Or, I recommend cooking them longer until they are limp and starting to brown.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and crumble the bacon over before serving. Enjoy!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Simple Mexican Coleslaw - April 8, 2021
- Cassava Egg Noodles - January 14, 2021
- How to Make Whipped Dalgona Coffee with Mushroom Coffee Option - April 10, 2020