This delicious recipe only takes a couple of ingredients, and it whirls up in your blender for a fast clean up. The end result tastes like a sweet egg-y banana bread, or perhaps banana bread pudding. It makes a lovely simple dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.
The plantains provide the starch instead of flour and they also sweeten the cake. The eggs help hold the cake together and add protein and nutrition (as well as flavor).
We’ve been trying out eggs again after years of avoiding them after finding out my daughter and I had a high intolerance to them. So far so good! Unfortunately this recipe is not AIP (Autoimmune Protocol diet) friendly because of the eggs, but once you’ve added eggs back in, make sure you try this out!
A couple of notes on the recipe (created by my friend, Lauren at Empowered Sustenance):
- I used a full teaspoon of both vanilla and cinnamon in this recipe.
- I think a tablespoon of pure maple syrup would add not only a little more sweetness, but also a lovely maple hint in flavor.
- My husband preferred this cold, I hot, so it’s a matter of preference.
Get the recipe here: Flourless Plantain Cake
If you try it out, let me know what you think!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Why I’m Spatchcocking My Turkey This Year - November 26, 2019
- Autumn Roasted Vegetables (with Sweet Potatoes, Cabbage, Squash, Cranberries, and Potatoes) - November 19, 2019
- How Illness Changed How I Viewed Food - October 2, 2019