Jennifer shares a delightful grain-free muffin with us today. Using coconut and almond flour, lots of nourishing eggs, and sweet bananas, these muffins would make a fun start to the day. The chocolate chip variation sounds especially delicious. -Kimi
These muffins are a new favorite in our home! I typically make them plain, but have also added some homemade dark chocolate chips to them for a fun, chocolatey twist. They make a nice snack during the day or side for breakfast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey (or more or less depending on your taste preference)
3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
(optional) 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with muffin papers.
2. Combine mashed bananas, applesauce, eggs and honey in a large bowl.
3. Add coconut flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda to the bowl and mix until well incorporated.
4. Fold in chocolate chips if using.
5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full of batter.
6. Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until muffins are slightly browned and don’t indent when gently tapped. (My last batch took 30 minutes.)
Yield: 14-17 muffins
Jennifer Maltby is a food blogger for The Unrefined Kitchen. She has been happily married to her husband for 6 years. They have one two-year old daughter and a baby on the way. Jennifer loves being in the kitchen and especially loves baking. Due to multiple health issues, she changed her diet in April 2011 and saw significant, positive changes. Parting from the average American diet was a bit of a challenge, but Jennifer found that using some creativity could turn this diet into something that could be very tasty. She started the website The Unrefined Kitchen to be a tool and resource for others trying to change their diet in a similar way. The Unrefined Kitchen is grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free (almost, we like butter!).