Who needs loads of sugar to have a tasty special treat? These “candy” bars are not only simple to make, but get most of their sweetness from fruit. And only a few ingredients are needed to make a delicious treat. Coconut date rolls are rolled thin, and then covered in dark chocolate. For an added touch orange zest is sprinkled on the top. How easy and simple is that?
Plus, I am sure that you could make different versions of this recipe. Like sprinkling smoked sea salt on top, for a salted version, or perhaps some toasted and finely chopped nuts. It would be hard to go wrong, and I have many different ideas on how to make different flavors.
This recipe was only slightly adapted from the The Garden Of EatingCookbook. Because they are full of natural sugars, I only give a half or a third of a bar to my 4 year old. Remember that little people’s bodies need little portions of sweets. You can get the date rolls at natural food stores, or you can order them online as well.
Nature’s Candy Bar
- 6-8 coconut date rolls
1 ½ cups of dark chocolate chips
Heaping tablespoon of coconut oil
Orange zest (optional)
1) In a double boiler*, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat, stirring to prevent sticking and burning Take off the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted and smooth.
2) With a rolling pin, gently roll out each date roll to about ¼- 1/2 inch thickness. Using tongs, dip the date roll into the chocolate to completely cover. Let the extra chocolate drip off and then place on a parchment paper. Sprinkle with orange zest, or topping of choice.
3) Let the chocolate harden in the refrigerator or freezer and enjoy! Keeps up to three weeks.
*I don’t own my own double boiler, so I make one using a small pot and a heat proof bowl. Place a few inches of water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Top with a bowl that fits snuggle on top of the pot (you don’t want it to touch the water, so it should sit high on the pot).
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- A Candy, Cat, and Laughter Filled Birthday Party - October 10, 2017
- Why I Started Adding Okra into My Smoothie ( And Fruit Okra Recipe) - October 4, 2017
- The Best Back to School Recipes - September 4, 2017