This soup is perfect for breaching the transition from summer to fall. Zucchini is still growing wildly in people’s gardens and sold for very cheap at our local farmer’s stand. We love it! It’s my daughter’s favorite vegetable, so she is especially enjoying the abundance. This soup is “creamy” from the pureed potato in it, though you can certainly add a drizzle of cream or a dollop of sour cream at the end for a non-creamless version! This soup is very simple to make, only using a few basic ingredients, but it’s delicious! Perfect for a fall evening, just serve with buttered bread and a nice salad on the side for a full meal deal.
But before we get to the recipe, I wanted to let you know who the winner was for the Cultures for Health Giveaway. Using random.org, the winner chosen was……entry 382, Taylor Wingo. Congrats! Taylor I will email you and you have 48 hours to get back to me to claim your prize.
Creamy (Creamless) Zucchini and Potato Soup
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups of chicken stock
4 medium potatoes (or 4 large red potatoes), peeled and cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme
4 medium zucchini, cubed (about 4 cups worth)
1) In a large pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat until just hot. Add the onion and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Cook, stirring as needed to prevent browning, until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.
2) Add the stock and potatoes and thyme and bring to a low simmer. Cook, covered, for about 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. Add the zucchini and cook for another 7-10 minutes or until the zucchini is very soft.
3) Puree using a hand blender or blend in a blender in batches, being very careful not to overfill.
Salt to taste and serve with a dab of butter, dollop of sour cream, drizzle of cream, or drizzle of olive oil.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- 3 Ingredient Fresh Ginger Tea - January 15, 2018
- DIY Air Filter Using a Box Fan - December 4, 2017
- Creamy Instant Pot Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Dairy-free options) - November 21, 2017