“No. Not Dairy.”
These were the words I breathed out in fear when I found out that dairy was my main food intolerance. On the way to the doctor’s office, I had told my husband that I was hoping my food intolerance was “anything but dairy”.
The first couple years of my life consisted of lots of yogurt and dairy, and a couple crackers thrown in. The rest of my growing up years consisted of grilled cheese and tomato soup, loads of milk, ice cream, cream cheese, and still more yogurt.
I loved dairy.
But it turns out that some of my biggest gastrointestinal complaints were related to the fact that my body didn’t love dairy as much as I thought. Since then, it has been a journey of finding out how to eat lovely food without it (though, I do still enjoy occasional goat and sheep dairy products).
Enter coconut milk ice cream. I was in heaven when I tried my first coconut milk ice cream! It is so creamy and delicious; I don’t even miss the dairy for once.
You could say I’m a big fan! I have a lot of coconut milk or coconut milk optioned homemade ice cream recipes here, so I thought it would be fun to gather them all up into one place.
Disclaimer: Some links are affiliate. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Notes on ingredients and equipment:
Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipes
1. Cinnamon Coconut Milk Ice Cream with Candied Cashews: Perfect by itself or served with pies and cobblers
2. Coffee Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans: Use the coconut milk recipe, and make sure you use dairy-free coffee beans if needed
3. Strawberry Ice Cream: One of the best strawberry ice creams I’ve ever tasted!
4. Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce: Need we say more? This is perfect for fall!
5. Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream:This version using Mexican chocolate and a traditional egg-custard base is incredibly creamy.
6. Chai Coconut Milk Ice Cream: The spices used in chai are a perfect match with coconut milk, making this a delicious personal favorite.
7. Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream: This was one of the first variations I tried out when making coconut milk ice cream. If you love pumpkin pie, you will love this!
8. Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Because mint and chocolate belong together.
9. Vanilla Ice Cream: What’s plain about vanilla? Especially when so many toppings go perfectly with it!
10. Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream: My eight-year-old requests this the most often, and for good reason. It does contain browned butter, though, so if you are strictly dairy-free, leave that part out.
11. Chocolate Ice Cream: Happy, happy days are a head with this simple, lightly sweetened recipe!
12. Roasted Banana Ice Cream: Bananas are delicious already, but when you roast them? Wow! It produces a wonderful, sweeter, roasted fruit and makes an ultra creamy ice cream.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for supporting this blog by purchasing through them!