Rich and ultra creamy, drinkable chocolate is a delicately sweetened hot chocolate that is richer and with a higher chocolate content than many hot chocolate recipes. It’s the perfect way to enjoy high quality chocolate. It’s a simple method, and it allows the pure flavor of superior chocolate to shine. I’m a fan! It’s the type of drink you get a some of the nicest chocolate stores around here, but it’s so easy to make at home (and cheaper too!).
Today, I am sharing this recipe along with a giveaway that includes several fair trade chocolates (along with a wealth of other fair trade goodies). This giveaway is going to not only help you make delicious food this holiday season, but it’s also going to show you the beauty of fair trade products. Included in this baking box giveaway is Guittard semisweet baking chocolate, which is a very high quality and lovely chocolate to work with. (And, it uses sunflower lecithin which is a great boon to those sensitive to soy!), and this is what I used to make my drinkable chocolate recipe. Soooo delicious!
I know that many of us are busy making lovely food gifts to share with others, and Christmas is the beautiful time to give to others. Well, one important way that we can do that is making sure that our ingredients came from those receiving fair wages. Unfortunately, some of our common baking products can come cheaply to us because a low-income, third world farmer received unlivable wages.
But we can change that by buying products that are fair trade, whether it’s tea, chocolate, vanilla extract, coffee, or quinoa.
And if you are going to the bother to buy really high quality ingredients, let them shine through in your recipes! Don’t cover them up with unnecessary refined sugars and ingredients!
Before I share my recipe, here is a brief description of the amazing items one lucky winner will get in our giveaway sent to me by the sponsor of this giveaway, Fair Trade USA. (Let me tell you, we have been enjoying eating our way through our sample box sent! What a fun way to celebrate good food! And of course, Joel and I never pass down the opportunity to drink good coffee and tea too. ). Where applicable, I’ve provided a link to these items to where they can be found at our affiliate, Amazon as well.
- Allegro Coffee (@AllegroCoffee): This medium bodied coffee is balanced, sweet & chocolaty. Café La Duena is a blend from small-‐holder women farmers in Oaxaca, Mexico and San Ignacio, Peru. Organic, Fair Trade CertifiedTM Café La Duena gives focus and celebrates women coffee farmers.
- Numi Fair Trade Mini Sampler (@NumiTea): From Aged Earl Grey to Moroccan Mint, this pocket-‐sized organic and Fair Trade CertifiedTM sampler box will take your taste buds on a journey!
- Rishi (@RishiTea): Rishi is committed to quality and expanding the awareness of tea and its rich, inspirational tradition. They believe strongly in Fair Trade and sustainable sourcing and you’ll taste the difference in every cup.
- Frontier Fair Trade All-Natural Vanilla Extract (@FrontierCoop): This extra rich and creamy vanilla is perfect for baking and bears social benefits that make it all the more sweet. Made with glycerin, Fair Trade CertifiedTM vanilla bean extractives and water.
- Lake Champlain Hot Chocolate (@LCChocolates): This is gourmet hot chocolate as it’s meant to be — simple, pure, and delicious. Mixed from Fair Trade CertifiedTM cocoa powder, sugar, and a kiss of vanilla, the same way your grandmother made it when you were little. Because grown-‐ups crave the soul-‐soothing taste of rich hot chocolate, too. And because the best hot cocoa still comes with simple instructions -‐ just add milk (and maybe a few marshmallows).
- Guittard Baking Bars (@GuittardChoco): Guittard Collection Etienne Baking Bars are handcrafted to provide a unique and complex chocolate flavor that’s sure to infuse your desserts with a rich, deep chocolate flavor! Try using with your favorite family recipe (or just to snack on straight from the box)!
- Alter Eco Truffles (@AlterEcoSF): These brand new truffles from Alter Eco are a melt-in-your-mouth indulgence that’s both ethical and healthy! These organic, Fair Trade Certified truffles will be available in both Black (Dark Chocolate) and Velvet (Milk Chocolate) varieties. Deep, smooth chocolate sourced from Ecuador (Black Truffles) and Peru (Velvet Truffles) surrounds these sumptuous bite-sized delights. These just might become your newest chocolate obsession!
- Alter Eco Rainbow Quinoa (@AlterEcoSF): The UN declared 2013 as the International Year of Quinoa - pretty cool right? This super food protein powerhouse is packed with loads of minerals and vitamins, and also delivers a diverse flavor and textural experience: the light and fluffy, toasty pearl balances perfectly with the nutty red and the crunchy black. Choosing Fair Trade CertifiedTM quinoa is one of the best ways to support quinoa farming communities. With their Fair Trade Funds, farmers are able to invest in quality and productivity, ensuring that there will be enough quinoa for all who want and need it for generations to come.
- SunSpire Fair Trade Organic Baking Bar: This baking bar balances high cocoa content with cocoa butter for an intensely rich chocolate flavor and a silky smooth melted texture, the ideal baking bar for indulgent desserts! The cocoa comes from a few select cocoa growers deep in the heart of Central America’s cocoa region, so you can know that your sweet treat not only tastes good, but does good too!
To win a box these goodies, check out the rafflecopter below!
- 1 ounce of high quality dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup of milk of choice (I used ½ cup each of water and full fat canned coconut milk), other options: almond milk, homemade coconut milk, or whole milk
- Toppings: Shaved chocolate and whipped cream
- Heat milk until almost simmering.
- Take off of the heat and added chopped chocolate. Let sit for three minutes
- Put back on the warm burner, and whisk until very smooth and the chocolate is all melted (if it’s not hot enough to your taste, go ahead and turn the burner on low and reheat until it has reached desired temperature).
- Top with coconut whipped cream and finely grated chocolate, if desired and enjoy
Contest open to U.S. residents only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting this blog! And thanks to Fair Trade USA for sponsoring this giveaway.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Enjoying a Gluten-free or Grain-free Holiday Season - November 18, 2015
- 3 Tips for Sharing Food with Others (Even When Life is Crazy) - November 10, 2015
- One Family’s Story of Healing with a Grain free Diet - October 5, 2015