Did you know that you can make kombucha vinegar cheaply and easily? This kombucha vinegar is a gentle vinegar that can easily be used as an addition to soaking grains, a “detox bath” ingredient, or used in a homemade salad dressing! The below recipe for a Homemade Kombucha Dressing, is a super simple, very frugal, probiotic salad dressing.
If you are already making kombucha on a regular basis, brewing up a batch of kombucha vinegar here and there can definitely help you save money considering the price of organic vinegars. (This post is part of the 52 ways to save money on a healthy diet series).
As many of you will remember, I have become a real fan of continuous kombucha brewing. I LOVE this method. But I did kind of lose track of it this summer, and I literally have a kombucha scoby that has grown to become a massive couple inch thick scoby. This is exciting to see, but it has also made my brew, brew too quickly, making it vinegar instead of kombucha tea! I need to take the scoby out and thin it down, but meanwhile I have this beautiful kombucha vinegar to use!
So how to make kombucha vinegar? It’s simple; you just allow it to continue brewing until it is quite sour. I find that I can get it to taste pretty similarly to raw apple cider vinegar. If you are doing single batches, this could take 30-60 days. With the continuous brew, it will be much shorter. Just keep tasting it until it has consumed all of the sugar, and converted it to vinegar. That’s it!
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup homemade kombucha vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- ¾ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1-3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- Pinch of dried basil, thyme, or oregano (or minced fresh herbs)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar. Lid and shake vigorously. Toss with a green salad, legume or grain based salads, or even pasta salads!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Good Reads and Good Eats 2/20 - February 20, 2015
- Hypnobirthing: Why Everyone Can Benefit (Plus My Birth Stories Using It) - February 20, 2015
- Crock-Pot Sweet Potatoes with Maple Cinnamon Butter - February 18, 2015