Nothing says summer like juicy, sweet berries. At the peak of the season, these tasty morsels are bursting with flavor, as well as all sorts of nutrients for the body. This cold mixed berry fruit soup is full of summer flavor and is the perfect end to an evening meal. This dessert won’t leave you feeling overly full and weighed down — it is light and refreshing. The lime juice adds a kick of brightness to your palette, while the balsamic adds a rich depth of flavor. Both acids work well to enhance the flavor of the fresh fruit.
Berries are one of my favorite foods. I don’t eat a lot of fruit, but when it comes to berries, I’m a fanatic. Especially blackberries. Those are my favorite and for good reason. Not only are they a tasty way to soothe my sweet tooth, but berries in general are low glycemic and full of fiber. Strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C, as are raspberries and blackberries. My mother always told me to eat for color. The richer the color of the fruit or vegetable, the more nutrition was in it. The rich reds, blues, and purples of berries means they are full of phytonutrients and antioxidants. All berries are good sources of minerals too, provided they were grown in healthy, living, mineral-rich soil.
Other recipes on The Nourishing Gourmet that include these amazing berries include the following: Summer Berry Ice Cream Pie, Strawberry Fool, Black Cod Salad with Blackberry Dressing, Blackberry Cream Gelatin, Strawberry Kefir Popsicles, Honey-Sweetened Raspberry Sauce.
For this recipe, any combination of berries could be used, depending on what is in season and available to you locally. This is a combination that I like, but I encourage you to experiment and come up with your own family favorite! Frozen fruit will also work, though it is a little thinner of a consistency than if you use fresh berries. Depending on the sweetness of your berries, you may not need any additional sweetener, but a little stevia or honey work nicely. Maple syrup even works well and adds a hint of additional flavor to the soup. You don’t have to, but it is simply divine topped with whipped cream, crème fraîche, yogurt, ice cream – you name it. If you’re dairy-free like me, Kimi’s whipped coconut cream is an amazing topper for this soup.
- 5 ounces fresh organic strawberries
- 5 ounces fresh organic blueberries
- 5 ounces fresh organic raspberries
- 5 ounces fresh organic blackberries
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed organic lime juice
- 1 - 2 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- ½ - 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Honey or stevia to taste (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to catch all the seeds and pulp.
- Chill the soup in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, crème fraîche, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, etc., and a few sprigs of mint.
Hi! My name is Jessica and I am a real food nut, avid reader and researcher, blossoming yogi, and animal lover. I have had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where I am the happiest and most comfortable. I began helping my mother cook and bake around the age of three and I’ve been in the kitchen ever since. I ended up working in a restaurant in my hometown for almost a decade, working in every position there and finally becoming the lead chef. My main mission in life is to provide real food recipes that are simple, yet delicious, as well as show how eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. I love to show people how making even small changes in their diet and food selections can make a huge difference in their lives. Along the way, I’ll share stories of my own real food and health journeys, as well as ideas for how to live a healthier, more natural life. I’d love it if you’d stop by and visit me at my blog, Delicious Obsessions.
Latest posts by Jessica Espinoza (see all)
- Cold Mixed Berry Fruit Soup (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, and Sugar-Free) - August 16, 2013
- Cold Thai Noodle and Vegetable Salad (gluten, grain, and dairy free) - July 17, 2013
- Summer Berry Ice Cream Pie (Dairy, Gluten, and Grain Free) - June 14, 2013