A simple sweet treat that’s high in fiber and a source of protein; vanilla & cinnamon roasted chickpeas covered in chocolate.
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground vanilla bean (or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil liquified
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syup (optional)
- 10 oz of chocolate ( I used enjoy life mini chocolate chips)
- ½ teaspoon of coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place your cooked chickpeas in a large bowl and add the cinnamon, vanilla, liquid coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir well to coat all of the chickpeas evenly.
- Pour on to a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roasted for 20-25 minutes, stirring them around occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool in a large bowl
- Meanwhile, melt your chocolate and ½ teaspoon of coconut oil in a double boiler on your stove top.
- Pour into bowl of chickpeas and gently stir to coat evenly.
- Prepare your cooling rack on top of another tray to catch any chocolate drippings.
- Pour the coated chickpeas in a single layer on the rack and allow them to cool for about 30 minutes in your fridge.
- Gently flip your rack over and push the hardened chocolate chickpeas off the rack.
- Break apart into balls.
- ALTERNATIVELY: use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to drop haystack style treats on to a parchment lined baking sheet and allow them to harden in the fridge.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Danielle Rouse is the creative energy behind the allergy friendly recipe blog, Fresh4Five | Real Food, Fresh Ideas. This mother of three has a passion for nutrition and cooking with fresh and wholesome ingredients. Danielle has become and expert at developing recipes to meet the complex dietary needs of her family. She is currently studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. Fresh4Five hosts an array of family friendly recipes that are paleo-friendly and free of gluten, dairy, soy, and nuts.
Read all of Danielle’s posts here.
Latest posts by Danielle Rouse (see all)
- Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits | Vegan & Paleo - October 11, 2013
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes | Raw, Vegan & Grain-Free - September 6, 2013
- Lemon Balm Granita (honey sweetened and dairy-free) - August 6, 2013