It is amazing what a drizzle of chocolate syrup will do for coconut milk vanilla ice cream, a plain glass of milk, or a cup of coffee. This version keeps it dark and bittersweet, and is sweetened with honey and coconut sugar. This syrup makes a mean cup of chocolate milk, but I could also see using it to make homemade chocolate shakes, homemade frappes, or drizzling on desserts. Chocolate syrup is great because it is easy to stir into cold liquids, unlike cocoa powder.
Plus, chocolate is kind of like bacon: It makes everything better, right?
How well do I remember the Hershey’s bottle of chocolate syrup we had in the refrigerator growing up. I loved coming in from an exhilarating play world in the backyard to make myself a cup of chocolate milk. Now I can share that love with my children, though my version is less sweet and naturally sweetened. They like to eat it straight off the spoon!
I might find a way to include this in our Easter Celebration! Speaking of which, you might want to check out this round up of posts on Easter related recipes! Everything from my favorite roasted asparagus with lemon butter sauce recipe to two instructional posts on how to naturally dye Easter eggs.
- 1½ cups of water
- 1½ to 3 cups of unrefined sugar (coconut sugar, unrefined cane sugar, maple sugar)
- 1½ cups of cocoa powder
- Dash of unrefined salt
- ¼ cup of honey or maple syrup (use maple syrup for vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (use gluten-free, as needed)
- In a medium pot, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat down to keep at a low simmer.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder thoroughly. Add the honey and salt and whisk again to combine (Carefully! Don’t splatter the hot liquid on yourself!).
- Once everything is dissolved and the syrup is lump free, and it has thickened, turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Cool. Serve warm, if desired, or store in the refrigerator in jars or a squeeze bottle.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- How to Make Mini Meatloaves (healthy, paleo, and allergen-friendly) - February 13, 2014
- Pennywise Platter Thursday 2/13 - February 13, 2014
- How to Make Homemade Ketchup (with unrefined sweeteners, antioxidant-rich) - February 10, 2014