Rich coconut cream is sweetened with dates, and flavored with cocoa powder and melted chocolate. These scrumptious ingredients combine to make a rich chocolate mousse. Topped with whipped coconut cream, this naturally sweetened dessert is delicious (and dairy-free and egg-free!). Plus, who wouldn’t love the simplicity of it?
This would make a perfect Valentine’s treat. The following recipe and pictures are from a friend and sort of sister-in-law (her brother is married to my sister). She is beautiful inside and out, and loves beautiful food too. And you have to love her beautiful photography!
Dairy Free, Four Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
Adapted from this recipe.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (use gluten-free vanilla, if needed)
- 5 oz, 85% dark chocolate (I used this brand. Make sure you use a gluten-free, dairy-free brand, if needed)
1. Let the coconut milk sit in a cool place overnight to let the cream and water
2.Scoop the cream off the top of the can of coconut milk, place it in a food
processor, with the dates. Process until smooth.
3.Press the coconut milk date mixture though a fine mesh sieve into a mixing bowl, to remove any date skins for a smooth texture.
4. Melt the chocolate over low heat. Add the vanilla, and melted chocolate to the
coconut milk mixture and mix to combine. Spoon the finished mousse into small ramekins (about 2). Chill until firm. Before serving, top with the following whipped coconut milk, and a square of dark chocolate (or chocolate shavings).
Whipped Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (scooped off the top of a chilled full fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whip everything together until smooth (but don’t process too long, as it will start to lose its fluff).
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Madey Edlin, I am 18 years old, I live about an hour outside of Portland. My number one passion is cooking. I never remember a time when I wasn’t in the kitchen trying a new recipe or inventing something new. I am a
photographer and aspiring food stylist. I am in the process of writing a cookbook on the subject of sweet treats and coffee, it should be coming out in the next few months. I have had a food blog for about 3 years, it’s a great joy to have an outlet where I can
show my recipes and food photography). If I could bypass college, and a “real job” I would spend my days in the kitchen, cooking, taking pictures, and writing recipes. I am honored to be a guest blogger for The Nourishing Gourmet, I hope you enjoy this recipe. Remember that nothing in set in stone in the kitchen, invent, be inspired, and have fun!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Get Quench: Cool Drinks for a Hot Summer, Free! (My new mini eBook) - July 22, 2014
- Pennywise Platter Thursday 7/17 - July 17, 2014
- Get up to half off of Fresh: Nourishing Salads for All Seasons! - July 16, 2014