Simple Chocolate Banana Ice Cream

This simple recipe uses bananas as the base, sweetener, and creamy component to homemade ice cream, and you don’t even need an ice cream maker!  I added chocolate and a spoonful of vanilla extract for an especially lovely treat. But you can literally make it a one ingredient ice cream by simply using bananas. It doesn’t get more simple then that! And it really is yummy! Sweet and creamy, you’d never guess how simple it was to make.

Because it is such a simple method (basically blending frozen bananas), it is easy to experiment with different ingredients. Why not make a strawberry banana version, or add peanut butter to the chocolate version? I can see this going a lot of different ways.

Sometimes you want something sweet, but you don’t want to eat something store-bought (and unhealthy), but also don’t want to put a lot of work into it. Well, it is easy to throw this together, you just need to make sure you have frozen bananas on hand.

Speaking of which, you should make sure you freeze them in their prime ripeness; Not when they are overly ripe, not when they have any green left on them. It makes a difference, believe me.

The other great thing about this method is that it works well for GAPS. For earlier stages, you can just make it with plain bananas (which is still quite tasty!). But cocoa powder is allowed on the full diet, as long as you tolerate it well.

Finally, I did make a board for Simple Healthy Food on my Pinterest page, as I mentioned I might in my post sharing my simple menu plan. You are welcome, as always, to re-pin any ideas you like from here and spread the word about simple, yet nourishing food. And, I couldn’t resist making a pinterest friendly photo. Pinterest readers, let me know what you think of the below format.

Simple Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
3 frozen, peeled ripe bananas
2 tablespoons of high quality cocoa powder (full-fat is recommended)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Milk of choice, if needed, to help with the blending process

1. In a food processor or powerful blender, blend the bananas, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract, until smooth. If needed, drizzle in milk of choice to make a creamy texture. Don’t add too much however, or it will turn into a thick smoothie. If your bananas weren’t very sweet for whatever reason, you can add a little sweetener.

2. Serve right away for a soft serve texture. Or place in a lidded container and freeze for an hour or two (not more) to harden.

Comments

I heard this when I saw something on Nirrimi’s page. So I bought banana’s yesterday, shall try to make whenever the banana’s are ripe.

2. Lisa says

And there is a cool machine relatively inexpensive that you put the very ripe frozen bananas into and it comes out super creamy…it is awesome! We like to add raw walnuts and some dark chocolate chunks that are dairy free for a special treat.

3. Venetia says

… or try frozen bananas. Great when you are tired. Let your fruit ripen and then peel the bananas and open-freeze on trays. Wrap individually and then remove from the freezer, slice them up and enjoy – on their own or folded into natural yoghourt.

4. Beth says

I love the simplicity of this. I might add a pastured egg yolk or two to up the nutrient density. And maybe a sprinkle of ground coconut shreds and/or sprinkle of cinnamon as an experiment.

5. Heidi says

This looks so simple and yummy love it! Also that is the perfect picture for pinterest already repinned it on to my food board.

6. rosyjo says

Made it. Think banana split where they drizzle the chocolate over the banana with the ice cream or dairy free version of your choice. Like it! Thanks!

Kimi – when I clicked on this link it said it was “unsafe connection” but I knew it was your site and clicked through anyways. JUST FYI :)

8. Vicki Hall says

Two of my favorite things chocolate and bananas This looks so so simple I’m definitely gonna try it.

9. Sarah Hayes says

Ive really been wanting to make something like this with frozen bananas!! This sounds sooo good and easy. I think I will make it tmrw! Thank you so much for sharing this. i already know I will love it

10. Laura says

This recipe was wonderful. I have a child with multiple allergies and she’s really enjoying this recipe. I just added a touch of vanilla coconut milk to it and it was perfect. Nice to be able to give her a little treat.

11. Ismini says

Hello,
    just wanted to ask if I want to make around 20 servings how what quantities should I use? Also can I use vanilla powder instead of vanilla extract?