Zucchini is abundant now, something for which I am grateful. Elena, my five-year-old, adores zucchini and we could happily eat it almost everyday. One of the ways we enjoy it is simply sautéed and lightly salted. Other times we add red bell pepper and fresh corn off the cob and then toss with fresh basil. Yum!
Because zucchini has a fairly light flavor, it takes on other flavors well too. Adding it to curries, shredding it into certain ground beef dishes, or making it into sweet zucchini bread all work well.
Summer squash is a good source of potassium (1 cup gives you more than three times the amount of potassium in the typical potassium supplement). They also contain a fair amount of vitamin A and a punch of lutein and zeaxanthin (members of the carotenoid family) that could protect the eyes from macular degeneration and other vision problems. (Source: The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth)
I’ve shared a few favorite simple dishes the past few years for zucchini and I thought I’d point them out again. There are so many fun ways to enjoy this delicious vegetable. I’d love to hear your favorite recipes too!
1. Raw Zucchini Chips: This delicious recipe uses a dehydrator to create little crispy zucchini chips.
2. Simple Zucchini and Onions: I love zucchini and onions, long cooked together in a simple sauté. This recipe given to me by a friend is so flavorful!
3. Mini Zucchini Millet Muffins: These gluten-free muffins are a fun treat and so easy to make.
4. Creamy (Creamless) Zucchini Soup: Potatoes give this smooth soup its richness. Delicious!
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Stove Top Goat Cheddar Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free) - May 23, 2016
- 5 Things I’m Loving - May 18, 2016
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bacon and Chicken (Grain–free. AIP) - May 11, 2016