Roasted Garlic Spears

Garlic spears are the flowering tops of garlic and are one of those special treats that are only around for a little while each year. When roasted, any spiciness is tamed down, and they are a mild, tasty treat. You can eat them just like they are, straight from the roasting pan, or you can cut them into 2 inch pieces and add to pasta dishes or to scrambled eggs.

Plus, I love how easy they are to prepare. A quick rinse, and a toss of oil and salt and pepper, and they are ready to put into the oven. That is my kind of side dish!

I like to roast them until they are nicely browned and fairly soft. The stems can be a little tough, so roasting them until they soften is my preference.

Roasted Garlic Spears

1 bunch of garlic spears, rinsed
2 tablespoons of fat/oil of choice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400F.

Trim the garlic spear (just a tad off the end). Place on a baking sheet, and toss with the fat/oil and generous sprinkles of salt and pepper. Place in the middle rack of the preheated oven. Stir every once in a while. Roast until the garlic spears are browning, and tender. (20-30 minutes) Serve right away.

Comments

1. Colleen Dechon says

Hi,

These look the same, but just wanted to make sure – are these also known as garlic scapes?

Colleen

2. WendyK says

They are indeed “scrapes”! All the rage in the farmers markets, and my garden now! I think they have a very toned-down garlic flavor. Both a vegetable and an herb! Great on the grill. I don’t actually eat the “flower-bulb”, but just the stem.

The flower part was my 5 year-old’s favorite part. ;-) So I guess it’s a matter of preference. Glad to hear from another garlic spear lover!

3. Heather K says

I was wondering what to do with them! I had them for the first time this year but didn’t know how to prepare them. Thanks!

4. Linda says

And to think that the first year I grew garlic, I THREW AWAY the scapes, not knowing any better. Aaarrrggghhhh!

5. Beth says

Tried this last night using scapes cut from my garden. Really enjoyed the mellow flavor. Wasn’t sure if I was supposed to eat the stem, bulb or both. Just ate the whole thing!

6. Jennifer Estoll says

These are great! I just served them for breakfast next to scrambled eggs- yummy! What lovely timing… I saw this recipe just as the scapes had caught my notice in the garden. God is so kind! Thanks, Kimi!

7. Jill says

These sound yummy, and I’d love to know what you gals are throwing into the pesto with the scapes. Do you use basil, parmesan, pine nuts and oil then just whirl ‘em in the food processor?

8. Peter says

Scapes are the tops of garlic. Spears are from Elephant garlic. The main difference is spears are more straight rather than curly, and are thicker, and have edible/tasty flowers. Scapes flowers can get stringy.