This tea is floral, sweet, and relaxing. When iced, it makes the perfect drink when sitting out in the sun on a lazy day. It is those simple pleasures (sun and iced tea) that can make for a lovely moment. For a family on a tighter budget with a husband in school, it is good to remind myself how frugal relaxation can be.
We recently saw a couple of days that spoke of summer, instead of spring. A hot sun heated our house, beated on our brow, and brightened our hearts. But I quickly found that I needed to find some cooling recipes to deal with the warm weather.
This iced tea is simple to make, and quite refreshing and relaxing. Chamomile is a traditional remedy for insomnia, and others find it helpful in treating migraine headaches (when drunk at the first symptom). It also has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful in treating stomachaches and helping with irritable bowel syndrome.
Along the same lines, lavender is traditionally known to be helpful for treating insomnia because of it’s relaxing properties. It can also be helpful in treating an upset stomach and alleviating headaches.
Not only does lavender and chamomile have similar properties, but it also tastes wonderful together! My only warning is for those pregnant; Chamomile could have an abortive effect.
I used honey to sweeten this tea. Honey has a mild floral taste (especially certain types) and so honey works wonderfully in this application. I used Tao of Tea Chamomile and Lavender tea. You can make your own blend by combining dried chamomile and lavender. Traditional Medicinals also has an organic chamomile tea with lavender that would work well.
Iced Chamomile Lavender Tea
- 3 heaping teaspoons of chamomile lavender tea blend
2 cups of water
2-4 teaspoons of a honey
1. Heat 2 cups of water to boil.
2. In a heat-safe container, brew the chamomile and lavender mixture in the boiling water for about 3 minutes. Remove. Stir in honey, to taste. Pour over ice and serve. Serves 1-2
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Grain Free Mexican Wedding Cookies - October 17, 2014
- Pennywise Platter Thursday 10/16 - October 16, 2014
- How to Throw a ‘Frozen’ Party (without gluten, dye, or eggs) - October 14, 2014