You Tell Me: Natural Remedies for the Ant Invasion

We are moving tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. I can’t quite believe it, and I can’t quite believe I will be ready on time! It is going to be a big push today and tomorrow, and then I hope we can settle into a routine again.

Meanwhile, I noticed that our new house already has an ant problem. I know it is that time of year again. I have just been thankful that we have not had any ant issues at our old house. For some reason, it seemed immune to ants. As I pack our pantry, I am making sure that all food is firmly sealed, and I also dug out this natural ant deterrent and killer (EcoSMART Ant and Roach Killer ), which I may use (though it smells very strongly of essential oils!). In the very first house that my husband and I lived at, we had ant issues, and I remember filling in little cracks and crevices, so that they couldn’t keep coming inside.

But I bet that you all have a lot of suggestions and ideas that are also natural and safe. Please share! You tell me what you use to fight the ants off!

Photo credit:Lindspetrol/Flickr

Comments

1. karen says

Im going to try baby powder in their main highway to the cat dish. Poor cat. The other day. Put out food, wstched a one hour tv show. Came back to a swarm. Hmmm maybe make a trsp of borax and ground catfood. Ha!

2. karla says

The wild yarrow that is along the roads in Minnesota will chase away ants when placed around the house. We also call it queen annes lace.

3. karla says

4. karla says

5. Patty says

Method brand Mandarin Orange or Pink Grapefruit cleaner spray stops ant dead in their tracks and yet the label says it is non-toxic to humans and pets and can be used around food. This is the only thing I use for ants. Spray across where they are entering the house and no more ants.

• Pat Kessler says

Try cornmeal for a natural killer in Canada. Pour it where the ants are. They will eat it and then can’t digest it.

6. Margaret says

Diatomaceous earth. If you use food-grade (which is the only kind humans must ingest), you can consume it, too, to get rid of your own creepy-crawlers. It’s completely natural with no side-effects, as well as being very effective on ants. Google it for more information–there’s a lot out there.