Pumpkin Bars (Grain-free and Refined Sugar-Free!)

Have any extra pumpkin puree leftover from the fall? Make these delicious pumpkin bars made using coconut flour and almond flour and sweetened with honey. Top with a delicious creamy frosting, and your family will thank you!-Kimi

A few weeks ago, I was hungry for dessert and noticed I had multiple cans of pumpkin puree in my cupboard. What was the logical solution? It was to make pumpkin bars, of course! The bars themselves are not overly sweet, but the frosting is quite sweet which I think creates a nice combination. Please, feel free though to reduce the amount of sweetener in either or both to your liking!

Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:

2/3 cup sifted coconut flour
    1 cup almond flour (or 3/4 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup arrowroot)
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    7 eggs
    3/4 cup honey
    1 cup coconut oil (or 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
    1-15 oz. can pumpkin puree
    1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 10×15 inch pan.

2. Stir together flours, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

3. Combine eggs, honey, oil, pumpkin puree and apple cider vinegar in a separate, large bowl.

4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well mixed (I like to use a hand mixer).

5. Pour the batter into the prepared 10×15 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes. (Bars are done when you insert a toothpick or knife and it comes out clean.)

6. Cool completely. Serve plain or with Creamy Frosting (see below).

Creamy Frosting

Ingredients:

1/3 cup butter*, softened
    1/3 cup coconut oil (not melted, but room temperature)
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 Tbsp. cashew butter  (optional)
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice (optional)

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients until well blended and fluffy!

2. Spread on COOLED bars. Enjoy!

*You may make this frosting with all coconut oil to eliminate the dairy, but the consistency and texture will be different. It should still taste yummy though!

Jennifer Maltby is a food blogger for The Unrefined Kitchen. She has been happily married to her husband for 6 years. They have one two-year old daughter and a baby on the way. Jennifer loves being in the kitchen and especially loves baking. Due to multiple health issues, she changed her diet in April 2011 and saw significant, positive changes. Parting from the average American diet was a bit of a challenge, but Jennifer found that using some creativity could turn this diet into something that could be very tasty. She started the website The Unrefined Kitchen to be a tool and resource for others trying to change their diet in a similar way. The Unrefined Kitchen is grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free (almost, we like butter!).

Comments

1. Barbara Pardo says

Kimi,
    I love your recipes (and have given the fudge recipe to many, many happy recipients!). I would like to be able to print them from your site. Is there any way you could add a print button?

Oh, these pumpkin bars look fantastic!! How did you know I just thawed out some pumpkin puree yesterday? I planned to make a friend’s grain-free pizza recipe that uses pumpkin for the sauce (instead of pizza sauce) for my support group meeting last night, but we had so many pizzas that folks brought that I didn’t get to that recipe. These bars will be a great solution. ;-)

Thanks Jennifer and Kimi!
    Shirley

Thank you, this sounds wonderful. A tip for finding canned pumpkin, I use Net Grocer when it isn’t available in the store. They carry the Libby canned 100% pure pumpkin, I have ordered it pretty much year round. Another tip, if you need to use only a little out of a can, use a measured scoop and scoop the pumpkin out onto a piece of freezer paper on a baking sheet. Put that in your freezer. After it has frozen, take it out and put the frozen scoops into a freezer bag, pop it back into the freezer until needed. Write the size of the measured scoop on the bag so you remember.

4. Elizabeth says

These look delicious! but we have an almond allergy in our family. Can the almond flour be substituted with any other GF flours?

Ok, well I haven’t tried it, but you could try doing the full amount in coconut flour (1 2/3 cup) and add 4 more eggs. You might need a tish more oil or applesauce, but its hard to say without trying. Hope that helps! If you try it, let me know if it works or not. No guarantees!

5. Mary V says

This is a wonderful recipe. Thanks for posting it. I too have an almond allergy in our household. My daughters and I made these this morning with the following substitutions to the recipe:
    We upped the coconut flour to 1 cup, put in 2/3 cup ground flax (flax meal) in place of the almond flour, and added one egg. It turned out beautiful and tasty!

these look wonderful! I like to roast a bunch of pumpkin in the fall when it’s cheap and then freeze the puree to use through the rest of the winter. I’ve still got some, and these sound wonderful!

7. Belenda says

This recipe looks awesome! I will also try using a cream cheese icing. I’ve been so hungry for a pumpkin roll and this sounds like a nice substitute. I’ll probably make it both ways, 2 different icings.

8. Belenda says

My husband is allergic to coconut and nuts. Baking GF is a real challenge. Do you think this recipe could work with a general GF flour mix and a different frosting?