Coffee cake and boiled eggs were common brunch foods for me growing up. Since I’ve gone grain-free, I’ve really missed it! While my family visited over the holidays, I decided to take my mom’s recipe and try to make it grain and refined sugar-free. My family approved of the end result so now I would like to share it with you! Enjoy!
- 2/3 cup honey (UPDATE: You can vary this depending on your tastes–I’ve been told 1/4 cup works just as well!)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup almond milk
3/4 cup arrowroot or almond flour
3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or butter an 8×8 baking pan.
2. Combine honey, butter, eggs and almond milk in a bowl until well combined.
3. Combine arrowroot or almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir well.
5. Pour HALF of the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and spread out evenly.
6. Prepare streusel.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. coconut flour
1. Combine all the streusel ingredients in a bowl.
2. Distribute half of the streusel over the batter in the pan.
3. Pour the rest of the cake batter on streusel and top with remaining streusel.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-35 minutes. Remove from oven when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Serve as is or slather in butter!
Jennifer Maltby is a food blogger for The Unrefined Kitchen. She has been happily married to her husband for almost 6 years and they have one two-year old daughter. Jennifer loves being in the kitchen and especially loves baking. Due to multiple health issues, she changed her diet in April 2011 and saw significant, positive changes. Parting from the average American diet was a bit of a challenge, but Jennifer found that using some creativity could turn this diet into something that could be very tasty. She started the website The Unrefined Kitchen to be a tool and resource for others trying to change their diet in a similar way. The Unrefined Kitchen is grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free.