Meyer Lemon Curd (honey sweetened)

Meyer lemons are magically sweeter, less tangy lemons that are thought to be a cross between lemons and either a mandarin or common orange. Because they are sweeter, they make a heavenly lemon curd.

Using the same recipe as this lemon curd recipe, I make a frugal, honey sweetened lemon curd. When made with coconut oil, it’s also dairy-free.

I love lemon curd. There are so many things to do with it. You can swirl it into vanilla ice cream, top gingerbread cake with it, spread it on scones or muffins, scoop it on top of pancakes, fold it into whipped cream (to top desserts, pancakes, waffles, or fruit salad),  or mix with plain yogurt and top with granola.

This would make a lovely food gift.

Meyer Lemon Curd Makes 1 1/2 to 2 cups

3 eggs
    1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 2 meyer lemons)
    1/4-1/3 cup of honey, make sure you buy high quality to avoid laundered honey
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed meyer lemon juice
    6 tablespoons of coconut oil, butter, or ghee

1-In a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan, whisk together the first three ingredients until light colored.

2-Add the lemon juice, give a stir and then add the the coconut oil, breaking it into small clumps as you drop it into the pot for even melting.

3-Cook, whisking over medium heat until the coconut oil is melted. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens and you start to see a few bubbles popping at the surface.

4-Remove from heat, and scrape into a fine sieve set over a bowl. Strain the curd, gently stirring through the sieve.

5-Refrigerate for several hours to thicken. Will keep about one week or longer in the refrigerator.

Comments

1. Beth says

Oh, this sounds and looks positively sublime (er, I guess pun intended!). Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hi there! I would love to try this but am hoping I can can it, to preserve it for longer than a week (for gifts). Do you think this recipe would work if I put it in a water bath after I’ve filled my jars?

• Lauren says

I’m not sure, Cate, but I’d wonder if the eggs would be shock-cooked and curdle with the heat of the bath. What about freezing?

I think if you put it in jars while still hot, then continue to heat it in the water bath it would be fine. It gets thicker as it cooks longer.

Sarah

My family has a traditional recipe for lemon Curd with less sugar, more eggs.
    5 eggs, zest and juice from 2 regular lemons, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup butter.
    In a double boiler, stirring constantly, heat slowly over hot, not boiling water until thickened. Continues to thicken slightly as it cools.
    This always gets compliments when taken with brunch.

I recently had a key lime tart, tasted very nice and seemed like it must have been very similar, made with limes.

I LOVE lemon curd soooo much (made your lemon bars a while ago and they were delicious!!!) – using the yolks for the curd Im assuming one could be prudent AND delicious by also making some meringues to serve with the curd and whipped cream. Boxing day dessert idea….!? YUM!!

I just made this tonight as a gift for my son’s teacher! I don’t think I have ever tasted anythign that is quite so delicious in my entire life! Sadly due to an egg intolerance I can’t eat it and will have to content myself with a tiny taste of the spoon but my husband is begging me to make some for us now . Thanks so much for the recipe!!

• Amanda says

Do some reasearch on NAET…it’s allergic elimination techniques using acupuncture. You can be rid of any food allergies. I’ve been going through the courses and it has made a huge difference in my life. :)

I love this recipe.. it took me a little while to find a dairy-free, sugar-free lemon curd recipe, and this one is everything I was after! Healthy with the coconut oil, too. Looking forward to trying this with some new recipes. Thank you :)

katealice

7. Gen says

I love this recipe! I substituted the meyer lemons for 5-6 passion fruits (because they are just falling off the vine at my house) and it was the BEST curd ever. I brought it to a food swap and it was the most popular item!

8. Susan says

This recipe looks wonderful – I’m planning on trying it this weekend for Easter dessert. Could you please tell me what to expect in Step 4 when I strain the curd through the sieve? I’m just not sure if my objective would be to strain out excess liquid into the bowl underneath the sieve, etc. Thank you.

• Susan says

Thank you so much for this recipe! It turned out perfect – everyone enjoyed it so much. Definitely the best lemon curd ever!

9. Courtney says

I had little white bits of egg ( I assume) after cooking. I’m guessing, I cooked the mixture over heat that was too high. It taste fine to me, and the strainer caught all of it. Do you think this changed the lemon curd that much?

10. Courtney says

I adore lemon curd. YUM – and what a great idea to give it as a gift. I linked it up in my Homemade Gifts-in-a-Jar guest post over at Keeper of the Home! Hope it brings some new friends your way! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! :) Kelly

12. Rachel says

Made this as a Solstice gift and it was so rich and lovely, thank you! I’m wondering, can I just use egg yolks? I have three yolks leftover from a recipe earlier today, and would love to make another batch of your lovely lemon curd…this time to keep for myself! :)

13. Rose Otter says

I wonder how this is different w butter, ghee or coconut oil…. what do people think? which one makes it most like traditional lemon curd? I am so excited about this recipe!!

14. Stephanie says

I made this last night. Awesome! I am trying to eliminate refined sugar so this honey recipe was perfect. I used regular lemons as I have a whole box I’m trying to use. I loved the coconut oil. I used an immersion blender to blend the eggs, honey and zest. Once cooked I didn’t need to strain it as the blender made everything smooth. Eliminating this step made this fast and easy and not too messy to clean up. This is a keeper. And easy to adjust according to taste – more lemon or honey to adjust the balance (yes, I had to taste it with raw eggs to do this but they were gathered from my chickens that afternoon so I wasn’t worried).