Jennifer from UnrefinedKitchen.com shares a delicious pumpkin pie topped with streusel. It has a nut based crust, a delicious pie filling and a sweet streusel topping. It’s a perfect fall dessert and just in time for Thanksgiving. -Kimi
I love baking in the fall! The smells of apples, pumpkin and cinnamon are so warm and welcoming. Before I switched to being grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free, my favorite pumpkin pie was one that had a streusel topping. One of my favorite things to do is taking recipes that I used to eat and recreating them so I can still enjoy them. Pumpkin Streusel Pie is one of those recipes. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Streusel Pie (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or some other nut)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Finely grind almonds and walnuts separately in a food processor, being careful not to process too long (or it will become nut butter).
3. Combine ground nuts with coconut oil and salt.
4. Press into 9 1/2″ pie plate. (Here is an inexpensive glass 9.5 inch pie pan #affiliate link)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
1. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, honey and coconut milk.
3. Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
4. Pour pumpkin mixture into unbaked pie crust.
5. Put in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. (Prepare Streusel Topping while baking.)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. honey
1. Coarsely chop walnuts and pecans.
2. Combine nuts, coconut oil, cinnamon, ground flaxseed and honey in a medium bowl. Mix until crumbly.
3. Remove pie from oven (after the 20 minutes of baking) and sprinkle streusel mixture evenly over the filling.
4. Return pie to oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cover edges of pie with foil or a pie crust shield if needed, to prevent over-browning.
*Store in the fridge. Serve with a yummy scoop of coconut milk ice cream or coconut whipped cream!
*You can substitute different types of nuts for the ones suggested in this recipe. I often have walnuts, almonds and pecans in my kitchen, and therefore I like to use those nuts in my recipes.
Jennifer Maltby is a food blogger for The Unrefined Kitchen. She has been happily married to her husband for almost 6 years and they have one two-year old daughter. Jennifer loves being in the kitchen and especially loves baking. Due to multiple health issues, she changed her diet in April 2011 and saw significant, positive changes. Parting from the average American diet was a bit of a challenge, but Jennifer found that using some creativity could turn this diet into something that could be very tasty. She started the website The Unrefined Kitchen to be a tool and resource for others trying to change their diet in a similar way. The Unrefined Kitchen is grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Stove Top Goat Cheddar Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free) - May 23, 2016
- 5 Things I’m Loving - May 18, 2016
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bacon and Chicken (Grain–free. AIP) - May 11, 2016