Pumpkin Streusel Pie (Grain and Dairy Free)

Jennifer from UnrefinedKitchen.com shares a delicious pumpkin pie topped with streusel. It has a nut based crust, a delicious pie filling and a sweet streusel topping.  It’s a perfect fall dessert and just in time for Thanksgiving. -Kimi

I love baking in the fall! The smells of apples, pumpkin and cinnamon are so warm and welcoming. Before I switched to being grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free, my favorite pumpkin pie was one that had a streusel topping. One of my favorite things to do is taking recipes that I used to eat and recreating them so I can still enjoy them. Pumpkin Streusel Pie is one of those recipes. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Streusel Pie (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)

Crust Ingredients:

1 cup almonds

1/2 cup walnuts (or some other nut)

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1/8 tsp. salt

Crust Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Finely grind almonds and walnuts separately in a food processor, being careful not to process too long (or it will become nut butter).
3. Combine ground nuts with coconut oil and salt.
4. Press into 9 1/2″ pie plate. (Here is an inexpensive glass 9.5 inch pie pan  #affiliate link)

Filling Ingredients:

2 eggs, separated

15 oz pumpkin puree (about 1 3/4 cup)

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup raw honey

1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)

Filling Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, honey and coconut milk.
3. Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
4. Pour pumpkin mixture into unbaked pie crust.
5. Put in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. (Prepare Streusel Topping while baking.)

Streusel Ingredients:

1/2 cup walnuts

1/2 cup pecans

1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed

1 Tbsp. honey

Streusel Directions:
1. Coarsely chop walnuts and pecans.
2. Combine nuts, coconut oil, cinnamon, ground flaxseed and honey in a medium bowl. Mix until crumbly.
3. Remove pie from oven (after the 20 minutes of baking) and sprinkle streusel mixture evenly over the filling.
4. Return pie to oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cover edges of pie with foil or a pie crust shield if needed, to prevent over-browning.

*Store in the fridge. Serve with a yummy scoop of coconut milk ice cream or coconut whipped cream!
*You can substitute different types of nuts for the ones suggested in this recipe. I often have walnuts, almonds and pecans in my kitchen, and therefore I like to use those nuts in my recipes.

Jennifer Maltby is a food blogger for The Unrefined Kitchen. She has been happily married to her husband for almost 6 years and they have one two-year old daughter. Jennifer loves being in the kitchen and especially loves baking. Due to multiple health issues, she changed her diet in April 2011 and saw significant, positive changes. Parting from the average American diet was a bit of a challenge, but Jennifer found that using some creativity could turn this diet into something that could be very tasty.  She started the website The Unrefined Kitchen to be a tool and resource for others trying to change their diet in a similar way. The Unrefined Kitchen is grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free.

Comments

1. Rebecca says

May I ask how the crust comes out? I have used a very similar recipe for crust at least 3 times (one of them being tonight) and they always become soggy and one with the filling. Tonight I even cooked and cooled the crust before filling it. Any hints or ideas of what might be going wrong?

Hi Rebecca! I didn’t notice the crust being soggy…I tried chopping the nuts as finely as I could and thought that even finer would be better (in a food processor), but from your experience, maybe not! This is the only “nut crust” I have tried and was happy with the results. What nuts did you use? And what did you use for shortening/oil?

• Stephanie says

I wonder if your filling was too wet. For example, homemade pumpkin purée can be too wet if it was cooked with steam rather than oven roasted.

2. cirelo says

I’m wanting to try making this for a vegan friend, but I don’t know a good egg substitute, any ideas?
    Also, if I wanted to soak the nuts first do I have to dehydrate them again before chopping?

I have heard that flax seed meal and water is a good substitute for eggs, but I am not sure how it would work in a pumpkin pie filling…and I have not tried soaking nuts for this recipe…I am guessing it would be a good idea to dehydrate them, especially for the crust. The topping maybe wouldn’t matter as much? Sorry I’m not much help!

• Jessica says

Flax seeds don’t expand in water, they turn the water into a gel, like egg whites. If you beat it with a beater, it really froths up. I got it from WAPF.

this was delicious!! i made it into two smaller pies for my family and they all loved it! i substituted almond meal for the crust because i don’t own a food processor and finely chopped the nuts for the topping, it worked wonderfully. thank you!

4. Jenny Odegard says

This looks great – gonna try it tonight as I roasted a whole pumpkin last night and have it on hand… thanks for the recipe : )

This crust sounds like a fabulous way to use up some almond pulp from making almond milk! I think adding an egg white and baking would definitely firm up and dry out any crust issues. Thanks for sharing!

Nice to find your blog Jennifer! And thanks for this recipe. I have some butternut squash puree leftover from making my butternut cupcakes with cardamom buttercream, and even though those are tasty, we’ve had a lot of them! So I’ve been on the lookout for a GAPS-friendly dessert to make and this looks like it fits the bit perfectly 🙂

I have some canned pumpkin that I could use, but I think I’ll try your recipe with the butternut squash and see how it turns out.

7. Jenna says

This looks absolutely divine (and wonderfully timely as I’m currently trying to mow through mountains of pumpkin a the moment and can always use more recipes!) but one quick question – so many wonderful grain free recipes use almonds, walnuts, and pecans. Is it possible to use instead cashews or even peanuts? I’m deathly allergic to what’s the more popular choice (A, W, & P) but can happily eat the later. Is there a specific reason folks DON’T use cashews & peanuts – or is it just a taste/nutritional bump issue? (Guess that’s 2 questions, sorry!) Between celiac, the nut thing, and half a dozen other weird and pain in the tuckus allergies – cooking can be a tad discouraging these days.

Hi Jenna! As far as the nuts go, I personally am allergic to peanuts and they aren’t allowed on the Paleo Diet as they are legumes, not nuts. So those are some reasons I don’t use peanuts. I’m sure it would be fine to substitute peanuts and/or cashews for the streusel topping. I love cashews, just haven’t tried them in a crust. I had a friend the other day try half walnuts and half cashews for the crust, but she ended up needing to add more dry ingredients. You could try it with cashews and maybe not put as much oil in as recommended? If you do, let me know how it turns out! I’m sorry about your frustration with cooking!

8. Becky says

I made this! Our house has been gluten/dairy/sugar/starch free for just over one week, and my sweet tooth totally needed this! My sister, who doesn’t like pumpkin pie at all, LOVED it! Thanks so much for sharing! Definitely making this for Thanksgiving so my family can enjoy dessert, too.

9. Nancy says

Jennifer, Have you ever tried making this recipe with maple syrup instead of the honey? This recipe looks wonderful! I may try it for Thanksgiving. Thanks.

10. Jamie says

I tried this recipe last night. WOW! This would surpass any standard pumpkin pie in flavor. Its amazing. Thanks so much. Im going to make more for the Thanksgiving holiday to share with my family. They wont even know its actually pretty good for them! 🙂
    Have a wonderful holiday,
    Jamie

11. Alyssa says

I just made this pie right now! What a lovely recipe. I have to ask, when you take the pie out after 20 minutes to put the streusel topping on, is the pie still quite watery? Alot of the streusel fell into the pie mix! I used homemade coconut milk, which was probably a tad bit more watery than canned….I also baked it about 45 minutes after returning it to the oven. I think its going to turn out delicious! THANK U FOR THE RECIPE!

12. Maija says

I was looking for sugar-free streusel recipes when I stumbled across this one. What do you think about using it on a sweet potato casserole? I have never made a sweet potato casserole before because I can’t see adding ‘sweet’ to sweet potatoes. (marshmallows…EWWW!)
    However, something like your streusel might add a super duper texture/taste. What do you think?

I’m adding you because I’m liking the whole idea of nourishing yummy food , and sustainability. Thank you!

13. misty says

This looks amazing and I do believe it will be perfect for my paleo thanksgiving. I would like to know if this freezes well? Can it be made ahead and frozen?