The March of the Olive Penguins

Edible Toys: Olive Penguins

Yesterday we had a little party for our daughter who was turning five years old. She looks forward to her birthday party all year long, so I try to make it special. As I was searching for ideas for food, I remembered some cute olive penguins we had been served at a party last year. Joel found a picture of them on his phone and I recreated them.

They were so fun! I actually made double to take to a going away party of some friends later in the day. Every time I saw them, I just had to laugh because they are so funny! I can’t believe that food can look so……..bird like!

Anyways, I thought I’d share the recipe with you all, as they are just too much fun to keep to myself.

Olive Penguins

Makes 25-30

1 can of jumbo or large black olives
    1 can of small black olives
    1/4 to 1/3 pound of soft cheese, such as fromage blanc (I used goat fromage blanc), or cream cheese (what was served to us originally).
    1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds
    Frilled Toothpicks

For the feet: Cut a triangle out of the carrot rounds, like so.

The big piece will be the feet. Take the small piece and cut into small slivers for the beak of the penguin.

Next take a large olive and cut a quarter inch wedge from it. See picture.

Now stuff olive with soft cheese and smooth out.

Now take your carrot feet and place the cheese filled olive on top, then place a small olive on top of the large olive. Use a toothpick to secure.
Poke a small hole in the middle of the small olive and then place a carrot beak in the hole. Done!

I recommend that you make a few, and then start an assembly line. Make ten or so feet. Then ten or so stuffed olives, then make ten penguins, instead of making them on at a time.

Enjoy!

Comments

These are insanely cute and make me think of my Grandmother. She is so creative and always found ways to make things special for her family and guests. I think these little tuxedo’d dudes would tempt even my olive-hating 11 year old! : )

2. Krissy says

Fantastic idea, my four year old was so excited he wanted to make them right away. He loves olives to begin with. We made them with hummus–so they are dairy free.
    So much fun!!!!!!!

3. Sarah says

I love these! My daughters are crazy for olives, I think I might have to make them for their birthday in March…..

4. KellyBelly says

Hi
    My 6 year old loves penguins right now, he sleeps w/ a stuffed one. I’ll have to make these w/ him. He also loves to be in the kitchen. thanks

5. Jessa says

I made these once, too. And they were as big a hit as yours were!

One tip: put the softened cream cheese in a ziploc bag, then pipe it into the olive for the tummy. I found it faster than spreading just the right amount with a knife. It might puff out a bit, but it added to the charm.

6. Joy says

I don’t personally like black olives but I’m going to a friend’s birthday party this weekend and need to take an appetizer. She collects penguins so these will be perfect!

7. Tywana says

I can’t wait to try these! Missed em for my daughter’s 5th in August but my niece has a Bday in March she will be 4 and LOVES olives and carrots so this is going to be perfect! Saving this one!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Lindsay says

THOSE ARE ADORABLE!!! Thanks for sharing, I am so going to make those. Simple and cute, and not so bad for you! (Way better than cake pops)! πŸ™‚

I LOVE these – and penguins are like our family’s, er – unofficial mascot. Now, the only issue is that my oldest is deathly allergic to dairy so I’ll have to try to make my almond feta for him. Yippee! I’m going to do this. I’ve seen similar recipes, but this one is the best. Thanks, Kimi!

10. tracey says

I loved this idea, but my daughter is very allergic to milk. Instead of cream cheese for the center, I jelled some cauliflower puree and it worked perfectly.

I put 2 T of fish gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water, let it set a few minutes, then added 1/4 boiling water to dissolve. This I added to 2 cups warm steamed cauliflower and blended it in the food processor until it was like cream of rice cereal. I Put it into a large zip-lock bag and chilled overnight (because I couldn’t get back to the project that day!) Then I snipped a tiny hole in the bag and piped it in like frosting. They were a total hit!

11. Michelle says

My sister in-law loves olives stuffed with cream cheese. I can’t wait to make some of these and take them to her house for Thanksgiving. She will LOVE them!