As promised, today I bring you a simple recipe for chocolate buttercream that uses unrefined sugar. It’s very delicious and creamy and my daughter literally wanted to lick it off her Spiced Pumpkin Cupcake. Who wants hydrogenated fake frosting? It doesn’t taste good and it’s certainly not good for you! But this recipe is a much healthier recipe as well as tasting great.
This recipe makes enough for one single nine inch cake or to frost about 12-15 cupcakes.
And did I mention that it’s very easy and quick to make? What more could you ask for?
If you would like a dairy free frosting, than use my chocolate ganache recipe. I generally whip a couple of tablespoons of dairy free milk or water into it to make it more spreadable.
Simple Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 cup of butter, softened (grass fed is best for health and it tastes amazing too)
1/3 cup of cocoa powder, not dutch
3/4 cup of powdered unrefined sugar
Dash of unrefined salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Blend using a hand mixer or a bowl mixer, until everything is smooth.
2. Use right away to frost. If you have beaten it for a while, it may have gotten too soft to frost well. Put in the refrigerator to harden slightly. You can also use it in a piping bag. I find that even with the powdered unrefined sugar that there can be small crystals of sugar in the frosting. If you frost and then leave the cupcakes in the refrigerator for a while, the sugar will dissolve more in the frosting.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- One Family’s Story of Healing with a Grain free Diet - October 5, 2015
- Healthy and Easy Single Serve Ice Cream (Dairy-free) - September 25, 2015
- Slow-Rise Sourdough Pretzels with Homemade Cheese Sauce - September 17, 2015