Coconut Milk from Coconut Flakes

I am making another batch of almond milk today, but I wanted to share another simple way to make a non-dairy milk. Using coconut flakes you can make your own coconut milk!

This will not be like the coconut milk you can buy in the stores. It’s thinner than canned coconut milk, and the fat rises to the top when cold, unlike the coconut milk sold for using as a dairy replacement (like the So Delicious Brand coconut milk). It has a light coconut flavor and is also great for using to drizzle in tea, use in smoothies, add to soups (though it won’t add quite the same creaminess) and used to make hot cocoa.

My four year old prefers coconut milk over almond milk. Because some of that rich fat is in the milk, you will certainly also be getting some of the benefits of coconut oil.

Once again, I use a higher ratio of coconut flakes to water to make a richer coconut milk. But you can certainly water it down to make it go further, and you can also make a weaker second batch of coconut milk by reusing the coconut flakes one more time.

One last tip, make sure you don’t use coconut flakes that have been de-fatted or partially de-fatted (the packages will often say “low fat”). This type of coconut flake will have a lot of the goodness taken out and won’t make a good coconut milk.

Coconut Milk from Coconut Flakes

2 cups of coconut flakes, unsweetened and fine
    4 cups of boiling water

Place four cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the coconut flakes and cover. Let sit for 1 to 4 hours. Blend in two batches in a blender (or one, if you have an extra large blender) for 1 to 2 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve (pressing down on the coconut mixture to release all of the milk) or through cheesecloth or a nut bag (squeezing to release all of the milk). Keep refrigerated

KimiHarris

Comments

Don’t you mean “make sure you DON’T use coconut flakes that have been de-fatted” ? Because without that ‘don’t', the following sentence makes no sense.

Yum! I love making homemade coconut milk. I have a local Asian Market that sells raw grated frozen coconut for $1.60. I use it to make coconut milk the same way as above. Its soooo good. I also love that I can extract the coconut oil from it.

Hi Tiffany,

I’ve heard of many Asian markets carrying that item. I haven’t found it yet, but I should keep looking!

• Judith says

I am going to try making my own coconut milk today, but I was wondering how do you extract the coconut oil from it?

3. Brooke says

Sounds pretty easy :). Question though… After you boil the water and add the flakes to let sit… do you turn off the burner right when you add the flakes and then let it sit on the stovetop for 1-4 hours? Or boil it for 1-4 hours? And what’s the difference b/w sitting from 1 hour to 4? Thickness? thanks!

hi kimi! thank you so much for sharing this- it is just what i needed! also, i am loving your zucchini chips.. mmm! i tried them with real minced garlic and am really happy with the results!

just wondering if i could get your advice on something: i am wanting to make buckwheat pancakes, would you suggest grinding the grain into flour first, and then soaking? or soak the grains first, then toast/dehydrate, and then grind into flour? thank you so much!

What a fantastic idea. I went ahead and gave it a try. I ended up using about 2 1/4 cups of coconuts, and it seemed to be about as rich as I would have liked it. This might become a regular thing in the house if my significant other is on-board with the taste. Looks like we’ll have a lovely bunch of coconuts in the household here soon.

6. Celia Browne says

Thanks for all the suggestions and information, guys. Tried it today and I burned out the motor on the blender but it came out AWESOME. Once it was chilled I drank a big glass of it straight. I’m making homemade granola right now with the coconut pulp…

7. Mary Kathryn says

I started making my own coconut milk a few weeks ago following a different method. I use some coconut milk mixed with castile soap as a shampoo. But I have to say the results of this coconut milk vs. the canned stuff is absolutely amazing!! I am hooked and will be buying a 25 lb. bag of coconut so I can keep this on hand. Also looking forward to finding ways to re-use the pulp. I will store in the refrigerator and add to stuff as I see fit– maybe in some oatmeal?

8. Kari says

So, can you start with a whole coconut? I would assume so- but it seems a bit more labor intensive if I have to shreed the “meat” either with a chopper or a grater.

How do you get to the oil? (I’m new to coconut milk and have only used the unsweetened via safeway and trader joes which both offer boxed because the can has msg and is just not real coconut milk)

Kari – If seen recipes using a whole coconut but it sounds much more difficult.
      Coconut oil is sold in many stores (I’m assuming this is what you are asking) however, it’s usually pretty expensive in stores. I recommend buying from vitacost.com or Tropical Traditions.

Do you buy your shreded coconut from azure? I”m trying to decide how many pounds to buy. Does this recipe make about four cups of milk? I noramaly go through one or two cans a week. I can’t believe how much the price of coconut milk has jumped resently! Thanks for sharaing!

What do you do about the oil that rises to the top and hardens in the fridge? I’ve made coconut milk a few times now and it’s great freshly made but out of the fridge it’s a pain as I can’t really shake or stir it so it mixes back together and I usually have to heat it up to mix it.

Is that what you do or am I missing something?

11. Mary says

SoDelicious coconut milk is coconut cream, water and vitamins with guar gum added to keep the fat and water in solution. Guar gum is from guar beans. I have not yet tried to make coconut milk, though!

12. KJ23 says

Does anyone know about how many calories per cup that would be? A lot of the flakes are left over when strained, so I would think it would be a lot less than the 500 calories they are saying it is online.

13. Dianne says

What do I do with the fat that rises to the top and hardens after refrigeration?
    Saw this question in 2011 email. Here it is again in2013.

Love the taste but am a newbie at making coconut milk.

14. Dianne says

Saw this question in 2011 email. Here it is again in2013.

Love the taste but am a newbie at making coconut milk.

15. Brenda says

16. Brenda says

I am wondering what you do with the fat that rises to the top and hardens after refrigerated. do I need to reheat again? Sure would appreciate an e-mail if possible! Thank you!