Summer brings many simple pleasure; a sunny day, warm breezes, fragrant flowers, cool fruit. I find that winter calls for long simmered stews and hearty dishes. But in summer you can simplify. With a handful of this, a bunch of that and a few minutes spent washing, chopping, and slicing, you will have a refreshing dish to serve.
This dish is simplicity itself. A well-poached egg (from pastured chickens) topped with a sweet tomato and basil salad. It’s perfect for a warm morning when you want to start the day out with some protein but want something refreshing too. I love the sweet grape tomatoes that start appearing during the summer. One year I had several plants producing sweet yellow and red grape tomatoes. I am not much of a raw tomato fan, but when I ate those tomatoes fresh from the garden, I was won over instantly. Using sweet tomatoes in a simple salad really allows their flavor to pop.
Poached Egg with Grape Tomato and Basil Salad Serves 2- 4
You could also add just a dash of balsamic vinegar to this salad for a bit of tangy sweetness. Never refrigerate tomatoes, especially when planning on eating them raw. It changes the texture.
- 1-2 fresh eggs per person
2 teaspoons vinegar, optional
4 ounces of grape tomatoes, washed and cut in half
Small handful of basil, washed
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Unrefined salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place the baby tomatoes in a small serving bowl. Roll the basil leaves into a single “cigar” shape and thinly slice. Add to the tomatoes. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and hit with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Taste test and adjust flavors as needed.
2. In a saucepan, pour in several inches of water. Add the vinegar, if desired, to help hold the egg white together. Bring to a simmer. Crack the eggs right into the hot water and return to a low simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes for a runny yolk. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve garnished with the tomato and basil salad and toast, if desired.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Pennywise Platter Thursday 7/31 - July 31, 2014
- Get Quench: Cool Drinks for a Hot Summer, Free! (My new mini eBook) - July 22, 2014
- Pennywise Platter Thursday 7/17 - July 17, 2014