Icy cold chocolate banana pie. How good can it get? When I saw a version of this idea in the Clean Eating Magazine I was flipping through at the grocery store, I knew I had to give it a whirl. With a few changes, it was a dessert that we really enjoyed. The filling it only sweetened with bananas too, which I think is great.
We think that it would be perfect for the heat of summer, both because it’s so refreshing, and because you don’t have to turn on your oven to make it. It’s not as creamy as I was expecting, so don’t expect it to be like an ice cream pie. If you are looking for that (which would be delicious), why not take the crust from below and layer it with roasted banana ice cream and coconut chocolate ice cream? This desert is more light and icy. It was also the perfect project for my 4 year old to help with.
Banana Chocolate Freezer Pie
Adapted from a Clean Eating Magazine Recipe
I made this in an 8 inch springform pan for easy cutting and removal. The original recipe used a normal whole wheat crust in a pie pan. I am pretty sure you could also use my crust in a pie pan. I also think that cream in place of the coconut milk would be great, or even just whole milk.
1 cup of almonds, (soaked and dehydrated, optional)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
1 cup of full fat coconut milk
½ cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoons vanilla
1) Toast the almonds in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until browned and fragrant. Place in a food processor with the butter and honey. Blend until finely ground. Push evenly into the bottom of a greased 8 inch springform pan, or pie pan.
2) Rinse out the food processor and add the pie filling ingredients to it. Blend until quite smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour over pie crust and freeze until well set (at least 4 hours).
3) Use a very sharp knife to cut into pieces. Can let sit for about 20 minutes to soften it up a bit. For presentation and added flavor, top with sliced bananas, sliced almonds, or chocolate shavings.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Healthy and Easy Single Serve Ice Cream (Dairy-free) - September 25, 2015
- Slow-Rise Sourdough Pretzels with Homemade Cheese Sauce - September 17, 2015
- A Free Gift for You (and LAST day to Snatch This Deal!) - September 14, 2015