Chocolate Banana Freezer Pie

Icy cold chocolate banana pie. How good can it get? When I saw a version of this idea in the Clean Eating Magazine I was flipping through at the grocery store, I knew I had to give it a whirl. With a few changes, it was a dessert that we really enjoyed. The filling it only sweetened with bananas too, which I think is great.

We think that it would be perfect for the heat of summer, both because it’s so refreshing, and because you don’t have to turn on your oven to make it. It’s not as creamy as I was expecting, so don’t expect it to be like an ice cream pie. If you are looking for that (which would be delicious), why not take the crust from below and layer it with roasted banana ice cream and coconut chocolate ice cream? This desert is more light and icy. It was also the perfect project for my 4 year old to help with.

Banana Chocolate Freezer Pie

Adapted from a Clean Eating Magazine Recipe

I made this in an 8 inch springform pan for easy cutting and removal. The original recipe used a normal whole wheat crust in a pie pan. I am pretty sure you could also use my crust in a pie pan. I also think that cream in place of the coconut milk would be great, or even just whole milk.

Crust
1 cup of almonds, (soaked and dehydrated, optional)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil

Pie Filling:
5 bananas
1 cup of full fat coconut milk
½ cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoons vanilla

1)    Toast the almonds in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until browned and fragrant. Place in a food processor with the butter and honey. Blend until finely ground. Push evenly into the bottom of a greased 8 inch springform pan, or pie pan.

2)    Rinse out the food processor and add the pie filling ingredients to it. Blend until quite smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour over pie crust and freeze until well set (at least 4 hours).

3)    Use a very sharp knife to cut into pieces. Can let sit for about 20 minutes to soften it up a bit. For presentation and added flavor, top with sliced bananas, sliced almonds, or chocolate shavings.

Comments

• Saira says

My thoughts exactly. Better yet… dark chocolate almond milk! I might just have to try it myself and see. I might have to add some unflavored gelatin. I’ll try it without the crust just in case I end up with a smoothie :)

1. Evi says

Kimmy I’m making this today as summery birthday “cake” for my son, he turns five today :)
    But I’m using 100% dark chocolate instead of the cocoa powder for a creamier filling and I’m planning to use my ice-cream maker for the filling, as I remember it from last summer to be more on the “icy” side.
    In any case I’ll let you know how it turns out!

2. Evi says

It was perfect Kimmy, everybody loved it!
    We found it much better than the one we used to make without the ice-cream machine.
    And the other good thing about this is that it is GAPS friendly as well; my baby girl and I are currently on full GAPS diet so we do occasionally enjoy chocolate-based desserts.

• Liz says

Hi Evi,
      I like the idea of the unsweetend chocolate instead of cocoa powder for added creaminess! How much chocolate did you end up using?

Thanks so much :-)
      -Liz

3. P R says

Do you think pecans would cork for the crust? I have those on hand :) I don’t have a food processor big enough to do the filling – will a mixer work or maybe a blender??

THX

4. Berta says

I’m going to try this with the avocado chocolate pudding that I make. It’s rich and delicious and freezes beautifully.

I love this recipe. I used low fat milk and added 1 1/2 TBSP Chia seeds to thicken. I also used 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder and 1/4 cup dutched cocoa power. It is very rich and creamy. The Chia seeds give just a tiny bit of texture. I think next time I’ll soak the seeds longer to soften more.