Simple Deviled Eggs

This basic recipe is a delicious version of deviled eggs that has tang from a bit of lemon juice, zing from mustard, and is leveled out with salt and olive oil. It’s a mayonnaise less deviled egg recipes that’s light, fluffy and delicious! It would be perfect for picnics, potlucks, or Easter!

One of my jobs this Easter is to make a platter of deviled eggs. I came up with all sorts of elaborate ideas for deviled egg recipes. But in the end, I realized that I wanted some yummy, simple deviled eggs. Mild enough for the kids, but with enough of a kick to please the adults as well. My four year old is very adverse to anything “green” in her deviled eggs, such as chives, so I had to restrain myself.  Easy to make was another priority. I think I did it!

Secondly, I wanted to skip the usual mayonnaise, if at all possible. I am tired of being dependent on mayonnaise for so many yummy recipes. You can make your own, or buy Wilderness Family Natural’s wonderful mayonnaise. But I find it hard on my budget to buy or make the high quality mayonnaise that I would prefer to use.

It was so easy to do without it! Because mayonnaise is made out of egg yolks and oil, all you have to do is add a bit of oil to the egg yolks, and you have that rich taste. Perfect, simple, easy, and more frugal.

Someday I may get around to making my elaborate deviled egg recipes, but for now here is a basic recipe that’s delish.

Deviled Eggs

Makes 12 halves
Because the flavor of mustard (I am using a very strong one right now) and preferences can vary, taste test before you refill the egg whites and adjust the flavor with salt, pepper, lemon juice or mustard as needed.

6 eggs
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
    1/2 teaspoon mustard
    1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    freshly ground pepper
    Sweet paprika

1. Hard boil Eggs: Set eggs in a medium size pan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Cover pan and take off of heat. Allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for 15 minutes and then rinse with cold water to cool.

2.Peel eggs and cut in half, lengthwise.

3.In a food processor, add the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Pulse until finely ground. With the food processor on, drizzle the olive oil, until just combined and fluffy. Scoop back into the egg whites and sprinkle with paprika. Chill. Will last 3-4 days.

How easy and simple is that?

KimiHarris

Comments

Thank you for this!! I always look forward to deviled eggs at Easter and have been struggling with what recipe I am going to use and the whole mayo issue too. This looks great and with your high recommendations I am going to give it a try!! :)

Great recipe. Do you find that the shells don’t peel as easily when the eggs are super fresh? I’ve had so much trouble – and I’ve done exactly as you instruct, submerging in ice cold water.

Karen,

It’s because they are so fresh. Let them sit around for a few weeks, and they will peel much easier. :-)

3. Samara says

Kimi, I googled “Nourishing Deviled Eggs” because I didn’t remember you ever having published a recipe for them (otherwise I would have come here ;-). Well, yours was first on google! Awesome recipe! Just what I like. Bravo!

4. Liz says

I’m not gonna lie, I have random cravings for deviled eggs… I just made this recipe for only two eggs, but it was great. I don’t keep mayo so I needed a combination that would work for no mayo. I added a little bit too much lemon juice, but other than that it was perfect. I just put my egg yolks, a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a bit of mustard in a baggy and mushed it around, cut off the corner, piped it in the eggs, and YUM! Thank you!

5. LA says

Will be trying this today for Thanksgiving. I was looking for mayo-free recipe and I’ve tried something similar in past, but I appreciate the recipe!!

6. Weezie says

Loved your recipe for deviled eggs without mayonaise! As my family loves lemony food I didn’t even measure the lemon juice. I just added the juice of one fresh lemon. My one question is two-fold re paprika. First I used regular paprika where do you find sweet like y0ur recipe called for. Also, any tips on getting the paprika to go on lightly I tried stiring it with a table knief and it still came out heavy. Thanks for your help and the great recipe.
    Weezie

7. Susan says

Steam your eggs – put one layer deep in a vegetable steamer basket over about an inch of water, bring to a boil; steam for 12-14 minutes. Cool under running water, tap all over with spoon, peel like a dream. I have chickens and even fresh from the coop eggs will peel this way. Perfect eggs every time!

I use butter in my eggs – wonderful flavor. Thanks for the idea for mayonnaise less. Can’t wait to try them.