Nature’s Candy Bar

Who needs loads of sugar to have a tasty special treat? These “candy” bars are not only simple to make, but get most of their sweetness from fruit. And only a few ingredients are needed to make a delicious treat. Coconut date rolls are rolled thin, and then covered in dark chocolate. For an added touch orange zest is sprinkled on the top. How easy and simple is that?

Plus, I am sure that you could make different versions of this recipe. Like sprinkling smoked sea salt on top, for a salted version, or perhaps some toasted and finely chopped nuts. It would be hard to go wrong, and I have many different ideas on how to make different flavors.

This recipe was only slightly adapted from the The Garden Of EatingCookbook. Because they are full of natural sugars, I only give a half or a third of a bar to my 4 year old. Remember that little people’s bodies need little portions of sweets. You can get the date rolls at natural food stores, or you can order them online as well.

Nature’s Candy Bar

6-8 coconut date rolls
    1 ½ cups of dark chocolate chips
    Heaping tablespoon of coconut oil
    Orange zest (optional)

1) In a double boiler*, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat, stirring to prevent sticking and burning Take off the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted and smooth.
2) With a rolling pin, gently roll out each date roll to about ¼- 1/2 inch thickness. Using tongs, dip the date roll into the chocolate to completely cover. Let the extra chocolate drip off and then place on a parchment paper. Sprinkle with orange zest, or topping of choice.
3) Let the chocolate harden in the refrigerator or freezer and enjoy! Keeps up to three weeks.

*I don’t own my own double boiler, so I make one using a small pot and a heat proof bowl. Place a few inches of water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Top with a bowl that fits snuggle on top of the pot (you don’t want it to touch the water, so it should sit high on the pot).

Comments

I get them in the bulk section of my local health food store. You can also get them at azurestandard.com and other places online. :-)

• Rana says

I had to make mine. I live in a rural area so not a lot of shopping choices. I bought some pitted dates put them in the food processor with nuts (takes a while) then roll in unsweetened coconut flakes.

These look and sound amazing!! I just linked up to the Pennywise Platter, but misplaced the comment section. Thanks for hosting!! I hope to be back next week. I love your blog & am a longtime follower & lover of real food.

This week I shared my Mexican Omelette & discussed advantages to farm fresh eggs. :)

Have a great weekend!!

I hope to make these soon. I don’t have access to Whole Foods but found a recipe online for the coconut date rolls and made some of those today! I didn’t know if my hubby would eat the date rolls or not but he tried one and thought they tasted like coconut macaroons so we’re moving forward. :-) Next step will be the chocolate. . . Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

These look tasty, healthy and easy to make – please don’t tell my kids. If I can find the date rolls locally, I’ll try to make these for our Easter baskets. Easter baskets and Halloween are the few times I actually buy candy.

What a wonderful idea! I love to slather my date bars in almond butter, but chocolate sounds sooo much better! Yum. I live in Boulder and Lara Bars are one of our pride and joys. I know one of the guys who develops the flavor combinations. Wouldn’t that be fun?!