Simple Guacamole

Today is the last day to sign up for the ghee and coconut oil giveaway!

I love my guacamole….in many forms. But this simple recipe is how I generally make it. Fresh flavors make this not only delicious, but simple to throw together. Garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and unrefined salt are the main flavor components. If you want heat, you can add finely diced peppers, a bit of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. What you see pictured above is crushed chipotle peppers sprinkled on top for a smoky heat.

This is a delicious snack with chips (perfect for when watching football or a movie), or dolloped on top of your favorite taco or burrito.

Nothing is set in stone in this recipe, so adjust the recipe to how you like it! You hardly need a recipe for such a simple project, but here’s my general outline.

Simple Guacamole

Serves 2-4

2 avocados
    1 juicy lime
    1/4 cup of finely diced fresh cilantro
    1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and put through a garlic press
    unrefined salt
    For optional spice: Cayenne powder, crushed red pepper flakes, crushed chipotle flakes, or 1/4 of diced peppers (for a milder pepper use anaheim).

1) Cut the avocados in half and seed. Scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Smash with a fork.

2) Add the cilantro and garlic, and sprinkle with unrefined salt. Squeeze about 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice into your guacamole and add the optional pepper of choice (start small).  Mix.

3) Taste test and adjust with salt, lime juice, or peppers.

Serve right away or sprinkle more lime juice over the top ( to prevent browning) and place in the refrigerator for several hours.

KimiHarris

Comments

1. Lisa Yantachka says

Excellent recipe. I love the simplicity. I’m a guac junkie! When I make it, I don’t cut the avocado up until I’m ready with the garlic and lime etc. (no browning possible!) I take garlic, add the sea salt and smash together until a paste. Then, add to avocados and immediately add lime juice to taste. Put in cilantro and if I have one, a fresh tomato diced up (with the seeds squeezed out). I like it chunky.

We love guacamole in this house as well. We always have avocados on hand. We have a new way of making it, incorporating a lactofermented element: Zukay Dressing! We add a little bit of Sweet Onion Basil or Red Pepper Cilantro to some smashed up avocados. It is VERY yummy!!

Wow, Kimi, your pictures just keep getting better…and more enticing (if that’s possible;-) I just got back from getting a batch of organic avos on sale at Whole Foods. Color me green with guac, baby!

I make guacamole just like you do! Avocado, lime juice, lime zest, sea salt and spicy spices – it doesn’t get any better than that!

What kind of chips do you recommend? Most storebought are filled with GMO corn, very expensive and have high omega 6 processed rancid oils :(

I look for several things: Organic corn (so that it’s not GMO), a “trace of lime” in the ingredient list (which means it should be traditionally processed), and finally some type of organic oil. The one in the picture is Trader Jo’s which has organic canola (not an oil I recommend), and/or sunflower and/or safflower oil.

So in the end, I consider chips a “compromise” food, but I still try to buy better quality.

This looks so delicious, and the pictures are fantastic! We love guacamole in our home too. We’ve found that if we hang on to the avocado pits and toss a few in the bowl with the finished guac, they are very effective at preventing browning, too!

6. DianneValdez says

These all sound great. I also like to add a side of salsa and sour cream. Yummmmm. Sometimes, like for Super Bowl I will also make some bean dip (soaked in whey so no unpleasant side affects of pinto beans).

Making guac today! The best chips? Whole wheat homemade sourdough tortillas cut up and fried in pastured lard. That’s on our menu today. mmmm.

8. Kelly says

Regarding chips – I brush the Garden of Life sprouted corn tortillas with coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake until crisp. Takes a little time but they are very tasty!

Also tasty are sweet potatoes sliced and brushed with coconut oil or ghee, sprinkled with salt and then baked (on parchment paper lined baking sheets for easy removal).

I like it! But if anyone would like to spice it up, I like to put in a little bit of cumin in mine… which now I’ll have to go make! Guac the World!