I love chai. I love it’s soothing spicy sweetness, especially on a cold day. We have had a cold spell recently, including snow in all of it’s fluffy beauty. Chai tea seemed the drink for the moment. But the concentrates you buy at the store can be a bit spendy a well as plump with sugar. I decided to try my hand at making my own concentrate. I played around with a few recipes and came up with this version. I used one of my favorite teas, rooibos. I’ve made it both spicy and sweet, I will explain below how to accomplish both. I also found that I love it with a lot of vanilla. Yum!
This is cost effective if you are near a store where you can buy these spices in bulk. I get mine from a local store chain, New Seasons Market. Whole Foods may have all of these spices as well.
And if you want a less traditional chai, check out my recipe for Chai Hot Cocoa. Another scrumptious treat.
Homemade Chai Rooibos Concentrate
- 6 cinnamon sticks
15 allspice berries
5 cardamon pods
15 black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon of dried ginger (more to make it spicy. You can also use fresh ginger. For a spicy version-my husband’s favorite-cut 1 inch of plump ginger into slices )
6 tablespoons of rooibos
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
To serve: Sweetener of choice such as stevia, rapadura, honey and whole milk or nondairy milk of choice (such as coconut milk). To make it a sweet chai, sweeten more.
1) Crack the spices (excluding the cinnamon sticks and ginger). I used my mortar and pestle. Add to a medium pot with the cinnamon sticks and ginger and add 6 cups of filtered water. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain. Add the vanilla extract. This concentrate will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator.
2) To serve, combine and heat with milk of choice in a 1 to 1 ratio (per serving, I generally use 3/4 cup of concentrate to 3/4 cup of milk) and sweetener of choice.
Latest posts by KimiHarris (see all)
- Finding a Toaster Oven Without Nonstick - May 25, 2016
- Stove Top Goat Cheddar Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free) - May 23, 2016
- 5 Things I’m Loving - May 18, 2016