Simple Herbed Avocado (A Delish Snack or Side)

This simple side dish or snack is a delicious way to enjoy avocados. A high quality vinegar is drizzled over avocado with a light dusting of unrefined salt and  fresh herbs sprinkled on top. Enjoy with a spoon.

Avocados are full of goods fats, and nutrients like vitamin B6, folate, potassium, and vitamin K. And they are certainly yummy too!

This is kind of like the Italian version of our Japanese Style Avocado which we greatly enjoy. The great thing about both of these recipes is that they are both easily customized. So have fun and experiment! I generally use a sweet balsamic in this recipe, but in the above picture I use a locally made raw blackberry vinegar which is equally delicious.

This is a wonderful mid day snack that helps curb sugar cravings too. By the way, how is everyone doing on the sugar challenge today? Share below!

Simple Herbed Avocado

Avocados (one half per person)
    High Quality Vinegar (such as a good balsamic)
    Unrefined Salt
    Fresh Herbs (such as thyme, oregano, or basil)

Cut the avocados in half. Pit. Drizzle vinegar lightly over the halves, and sprinkle with salt and finely chopped fresh herbs (of your choice). Serve with a spoon.

You can also slice the avocado and then drizzle with the vinegar and sprinkle with salt and herbs for a pretty presentation.

Comments

Oh yum…. I have a fridge-ful of avocados right now since they are in season. I am having this tonight!!! Thank you for the inspiration, I thought I was going to have to freeze them all….

2. Beppy says

sounds like a delicious way to eat avocado. Thanks
    I am doing well. Once I make up my mind to do something I can usually do it.

3. Briita says

i love avacado, but can’t eat it unless it is mashed. it’s a texture thing. so i eat lots of guacamole! about sugar, i have realized that i don’t eat much, but i am craving the things that i didnt even think about containing sugar. i have walked by ever cookie without issue, but i really want some of my favorite salad dressing, and the cranberry relish everyone got to eat with dinner. but so far, it is going good, and i think i will make it the week!

4. Briita says

i love avacado, but can’t eat it unless it is mashed. it’s a texture thing. so i eat lots of guacamole! about sugar, i have realized that i don’t eat much, but i am craving the things that i didnt even think about containing sugar. i have walked by every cookie without issue, but i really want some of my favorite salad dressing, and the cranberry relish everyone got to eat with dinner. but so far, it is going good, and i think i will make it the week!

5. Nicole W. says

avacados are probably my favorite food 🙂 I’ve found on this sugar challenge that eating them for breakfast helps the cravings!

6. Joyce Pfaffle says

Angela, I also didn’t know you could freeze avocados. I goodled it and here’s one response on another website regarding this very question:

y Deeli (3283) PYou most certainly can but they need to be mashed first. Stir in a tad bit of lemon juice (not too much or they’ll be too watery) and freeze in individual freezer bags with air removed. I do this whenever they are on sale and they stay in good condition for about three or four months. They’re great to use for sandwiches, salad dressing, dip and even mixing with a fresh avocado for guacamole.

7. Ruth says

Doing good! I’ve found that I’m much more attentive to what I’m eating and, therefore, I’m making better choices. Haven’t really had any cravings but I’ve become aware of how much ‘mindless munching’ I was doing. Very helpful, so far.

• Marilee says

I could not have said it better myself Ruth! I am pleasantly surprised that at this point I am not craving sugar too much!

In a case of a recipe like this, taste is certainly important since it’s so “naked” on the avocado. 🙂 Some cheap balsamic vinegars actually add sugar into the vinegar. The longer aged vinegars can taste sweeter. I also like to use raw vinegars whenever possible for all of those lovely enzymes.

What a great (and delicious) idea! I have some avocados that I’ve been looking to spruce up! My typical avocado snack is homemade guac, but I’d be willing to give the guac a rest and give this a try!

I’m on day 6 (I started on Friday) and I’m doing great. I’m charting calories and carbs and aiming for 50-80 carbs a day. The first 2 days were TERRIBLE but I think I’ve gotten over the big detox hump. Yay!

For dessert last night, I had blueberries in cream mixed with just a touch (1/4 tsp) maple syrup and found that it was divine! I still have a terrible sweet tooth but I can eat fruit for my snacks.

I’ve also been eating almond flour biscuits and made almond flour pancakes one day (we are gluten free so these are recipes that we have more often).

Good luck everyone!

10. amanda k. says

yesterday, tue., was my first day cause we were away for the long w-end. by mid afternoon i had such a huge headache, this is the worst sugar time for me (candy bowl at work). i came home and had two dates and headache vanished almost immediately. i was not expecting that at all. really realizing how much i dont even think before eating the sugar. will be thinking more now! thanks.

11. Elaine says

I love avocados! I’ve learned to make guacamole like my daughter makes. But I’ve also learned to eat it the way a friend from Columbia, South America, does. She serves chicken soup (Columbian style) with a plate of rice and half an avocado on the side. Then you take spoonfuls and dip them in the soup. I use brown rice and had this recently with a Chicken Meatball Soup that I made. REALLY delicious! I got the soup recipe from the Brain Diet book.

12. Arleen Rasmussen says

My husband, 7-year old son and I have been eating avocados this way. We are very fond of the Oliver brand 25-year aged balsamic vinegar exclusively sold at Williams Sonoma. It is a splurge at $29 a bottle but worth every penny!