4 Ways to Consume Raw Garlic

One of the most common “folk” remedies is eating raw garlic to ward of everything from infections to the common cold. With few side effects (besides making you smell like garlic!), it is a safe way to build your immune system that I’ve used often. Many of my friends will eat raw garlic when coming down with a cold or the flu, so I thought I would share some of my favorite ways to consume higher amounts of this sharp tasting bulb.

I put garlic in just about everything I cook and love it, but when you are trying to consume a whole clove at a time, it can be a little more challenging. The first thing to keep in mind is always consuming raw garlic with a bit of some type of fat. Raw garlic can be unpleasant in the stomach when consumed on it’s own (if you eat raw garlic frequently on it’s own, I’ve read it could even lead to eventual damage in your stomach!). It also just tastes a lot better when consumed with something fatty.

Keep in mind that  these “recipes”  aren’t culinary recipes. They are just tasty ways to take a more medicinal amount of garlic.

Raw Garlic Toast

Mix one clove of  finely minced garlic with one to two tablespoon pastured butter and spread on a piece of toasted  sprouted or sourdough bread. This is also good when dipped into a hot bowl of soup.

Garlic Dip

I learned this trick from my mother in law. Mix one clove of minced garlic with 1-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Serve with organic corn chips. This sounds quite strange but is actually quite good! If you don’t have any homemade on hand, my first choice is Wilderness Family Natural’s mayonnaise, my second choice (imperfect and does contain soy protein) would be Follow Your Heart Vegenaise Grapeseed Oil .

Guacamole

Mix 1-3 cloves of minced garlic with 1 small mashed avocado. Add salt and chopped cilantro. Serve with chips or dollop on your choice of Mexican food.

Raw Garlic Shot

When consuming raw garlic frequently throughout the day, some like to take a “shot” of garlic by putting the raw garlic in their mouth and chasing it with some water. I would just recommend that you add a bit of olive oil to the garlic to protect your stomach.

What about you? Do you have a favorite way to eat raw garlic? Please Share

Comments

1. Jan says

I take a glove of garlic and peel it then place in my chopper and chopped to my satisfaction and place in a clean jar and pour olive oi over it and let it set in the fridge for 24 hours. The next day I will cube a large fresh home grown tomato and put into a contain and add the garlic to it along with some fresh oregano, stir and eat. I also will add this to my salad when I want a change of pace. I am trying to boost and enhance my immune system and stay as healthy as humanly possible. If I want a change of pace, I will cut open an Avocado and scoop and and put into mixer till well blended, then add the garlic mixture to it. I will either either a handful of organic corn chips or spread on one half English muffin. I also use this in all soups I make. I love garlic and keep finding different ways to eat it so it does not come boring. So glad I found this site! Have a great day everyone! 🙂

2. Nickijoe says

I mince 3 cloves, add a tablespoon of olive oil and let it sit for 2+ minutes (while I get ready for work). The olive oil helps with the initial sting if I happen to chew any chunky pieces. Then I add a tablespoon of hummus, stir and eat. Boom! I love the warm endorphin-like feeling I get five minutes after it hits my stomach.

3. Smita Ghia says

First thing in the morning on empty stomach I have garlic :- I crush garlic in garlic press and have it with Luke warm lime water with a tea spoon of honey.

• Allie says

Yes, to get the benefits of garlic, it must be crushed, because there are 2 compounds in it that when crushed get mixed together and brings out the medicinal properties. I literally just read that doing some research on garlic lol

I like to roast garlic in grapeseed oil in skillet, oven, and microwave and eat it by its self. you can use olive oil also.

I’ve just started with garlic it hurt my stomach, I am also drinking marigold/calendula tea, – going for an intense detox.
    I also LOVE Lemon & crushed Black pepper in hot water! I chase my food with marigold tea, I then crush garlic with my back teeth and swallow it before the next meal. I’m going to do this for two weeks. Add cider water vinegar for good measure! I think I will go with the guy above and roast my garlic! And possibly make some dips. Excess of marigold tea can make one drowsy or cider vinegar – don’t take to much it’s not good for the stomach. Respect any home treatments

6. Billy says

I mince the raw garlic then add it to lemon water then just swallow the garlic in it … should I chew it? Because I had already minced it

7. Torrid w. says

Anyone get positive results in improving a deficient immune system by consuming garlic. If yes, please let me know how you consumed it, as well as amount and frequency.
    Thanks

8. Scott says

I take two pieces of toast, spread on a clove of crushed garlic on each piece, then sprinkle on grated cheese, then add two tablespoons of marinara to each piece

9. ASKO says

I like to throw garlic cloves in with a bowl of peanuts and suck on a like after each garlic bite and wash it down with a beer 🙂

10. Leslie says

I was told years ago to mix the juice of three or four oranges and up to one lemon with chopped/minced garlic. It was said that not every one likes the citrus mixture at first. Need to use at least juice of half the lemon . Once you are used to that ,then begin to add some raw garlic. I was told this will cleanse the liver and to take it at least twice a week. I have used this on and off over the last thirty plus years.

11. Sara says

I cut the garlic clove into small pieces and swallow with water. I think it’s enough to get the full benefits of the “allicin”.

I had a pace maker fitted 6 weeks ago due to the effects of highpertension.

I recently started to crush fresh garlic add to water and keep in the fridge, Iwill i
    Benifit from drinking a glass before bed.

13. Maria Belinda Pascua says

I felt that my blood pressure was going up and had a a headache, too. I thought of chewing 3 cloves of garlic and a tbsp of honey then ate cold slices of ripe mango for the after taste. Bam! after 2 minutes I felt that my headache was subsiding and my vision became better. After 10 minutes my headache was totally gone. Amazing benefits of garlic and honey.

14. Eric says

I make green tea, add a couple lemons, a little bit of coconut oil, and then mince some garlic cloves and put it into my drink, it takes away a lot of the sting!