Whole Foods for the Holidays: Side Dish Carnival

Because of Thanksgiving this Thursday, we will not be having Pennywise Platter Thursday, but please participate in this carnival if you can!
It’s my pleasure to be this week’s host in the progressive dinner carnival entitled Whole Foods for the Holidays. This week’s theme is side dishes, which I am very excited about. I love side dishes!

If you are new to my blog, this blog is focused on nourishing food. I personally eat a wide range of foods from lacto-fermented and juiced vegetables to grass fed meats, seafood, and occasional raw dairy. My blog features recipes suitable for a wide variety of diets from paleo to vegan as well as discussing related topics (such as sharing favorite kitchen tools, discussing different diets and important “food issues”). I would love to have you sign up for my RSS feed (on the right). Everyone is welcome here and I do hope that you will share your recipes with us today! As long as you keep your ingredients wholesome and “real”,  whether you are vegan or low carb, your recipes will be suitable for this carnival.

So what are your favorite healthy holiday side dishes? Please share either in the comment section below or as a blogger using Mr. Linky. I bet we can all do with some new ideas for Thanksgiving coming up this week! I can’t wait to see what you all have to share.

I am sharing my Stovetop Quinoa and Mushroom Stuffing recipe, and I hope to get another recipe up later today as well. Other yummy sides I shared last year included dairy free mashed potatoes and long simmer green beans and creamy cranberry salad (also dairy free).

If you would like to share,  please leave your ideas and recipes in the comment section. Or, if you are a blogger, share your ideas on your blog, linking back to this page, and then use the Mr. Linky to link up to the carnival! As always just use good carnival etiquette by keeping it family friendly, linking to the carnival, and for this carnival, keeping the ingredients healthy.

Comments

Oh my. I listed my title and blog name all out of order again. Oopsies. Thanks for hosting this part of a wonderful progressive dinner that has already been so fun and helpful. Your recipes look wonderful!

Thanks for hosting Kimi! I always enjoy reading what you have to share. Know that you are a blessing to many. I’m praying for you and your family. I’m sharing my favorite red potato recipe. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! God bless!

I love sweet potatoes, but it’s only me and one other person (out of 20) that like them. I’m still making a small batch, though… would love to try sweet potato fries!

Hmm… I’m having trouble linking up- my link will show up and then disappear- And, it’s showing me as the only link. Am I doing something wrong?

4. Karen says

Apple Cranberry Dessert

Serves 4 – 6

4 Granny Smith apples cored, peeled (if you prefer) and cut into bites size pieces
    1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
    water
    ground cinnamon
    sea salt
    water
    coconut oil
    crispy nuts (any variety)

Warm a 2 quart braising dish and coat lightly with coconut oil. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add apples and cranberries to dish and lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Generously cover with cinnamon. Heat over medium high heat until water is boiling and then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the kitchen smells like apple pie. Turn the heat off and let stand at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve. This dessert can be chilled and served cold or reheated later. Once in individual serving dishes and while the apple cranberry mixture is still warm spoon 1 teaspoon of coconut oil over the top of each and sprinkle with a handful of crispy nuts.

Hi Kimi,
    This is a great idea for a carnival!
    I just posted a recipe for brussels sprouts – if you cut it into thin strips and add some great contrasting flavors and textures to it, it does not have the strong flavor that many people dislike.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

6. Carissa says

A little late as well, but this year I made a kale salad that was lovely.

Mix together in a large bowl…
    1 bunch of kale thinly sliced into ribbons
    2-3 carrots-chopped small (we put ours in a food processor for 5 seconds)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    8 oz crumbled goat cheese

Whisk together…
    1 cup olive oil
    1/4-1/3 cup honey
    2-4 Tbsp (depending on your taste) Lemon Juice
    1 Tbsp Expeller pressed Flax seed oil
    A splash of rice vinegar

Once this is mixed together, toss the salad with the dressing, and immediately before serving top with crispy nuts or candied nuts for a tasty touch!

Even my 4 year old and 6 year old love it!