Creamy Iced Jasmine Green Tea

I’ve always loved jasmine green tea served with a little honey and cream. So well balanced-smooth, sweet, and slightly bitter. It’s been pretty hot around here the last few weeks, so I’ve started to take my tea iced. In a sudden inspiration, I made that same creamy jasmine combination iced. I loved it!  I only wish that I could buy this at some coffee shop when out and about, because it’s delicious. I guess I will have to content myself with the more frugal choice of making it myself and bringing it with me. I made mine with coconut milk instead of cream, but you could certainly use cream or half and half.

It was the perfect pick me up during a busy and sad time for our family. Thanks for all of the well wishes we’ve received from you all. We are doing well, though sad and grieving. We know that Sono’s loss will continue to manifest itself in different ways in the years to come. We still have some family in the area for the next few days and will be busy doing things with them, but after that we are looking forward to, and hoping for a little more stability in our schedules and lives.

And I am very much looking forward to being able to cook for myself and our little family. The last 6 weeks or so we have been sharing meals with the extended family and eating out more often then we prefer. I have a few new recipe ideas to try out this week  that will probably end up on the blog! (A few of which are for the For the Love of Food and Books series).

Meanwhile, enjoy this cold drink.

Creamy Jasmine Iced Tea
This is lightly sweetened, you can leave unsweetened or make sweeter according to your desire. Instead of honey you can also use stevia.  Serves about 4.

4 jasmine green tea bags (or equivalent in loose tea)
    2 cups of hot water
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
    2 cups of cold water
    Plenty of ice

In a temperature appropriate container, steep the tea in 2 cups of hot water for ten minutes. Remove the tea bags from the water. Dissolve the honey in the hot water and then add the 2 cups of cold water and the coconut milk. Serve over plenty of ice.

Comments

This looks really satisfying! I love green tea. I am glad to hear you and family are doing well. How is the morning sickness going? A few weeks ago you didn’t even want to think of blogging/food!

Hey Meagan,

Thanks for the note. When I wrote my piece about morning sickness, I was actually pretty much over it. :-) I think I was saying that was how I felt for the few months before that point. I do still get a little sick if I don’t eat enough or soon enough, or push myself too much, but other then that, I’m doing good. :-)

2. Mo says

My favorite ice-tea is this recipe now especially the jasmine green tea! and it is a nice addition to add peppermint tea..I like to use bulk stevia leaves to sweeten it-they can be steeped along with the tea. I use a coffee maker and steep it all that way then pour it over the ice to make ice tea. It travels well in an ice filled thermos..easy to take along. thanks for the coconut milk idea!

3. Amy says

Thank you for this recipe it was so tasty and refreshing! I made it with milk but am excited for the opportunity to try it with coconut milk.

4. TrailGrrl says

ok I’m geared up to make this one. I bought a box of organic Jasmine Green Tea bags at my local grocery in the health food section (or whatever it’s called). I was surprised to find it there… thought I’d have to go to a bigger international store like Jungle Jim’s. I already had honey from the farmers’ market. I got a chai latte at Starbucks at the grocery because of this recipe, and I must say it was great! Much easier for me to like than coffee (which I’ve recently taken a liking to, but mostly really good espresso from the farmers’ market guy that means I can’t drink Starbucks coffee anymore… sort of like the taking the “red pill” from The Matrix). So I’m seriously looking forward to making this drink.

I am trying to get off of the Diet Pepsi which is my last artificial ingredient holdout and it has turned out to be much more difficult that I thought when I am in my regular work schedule routine. It’s not just the caffeine headache, because even when I have a coffee instead I still get the craving. Maybe it’s just a habit psychologicially, and missing the taste of cool and fizzy vs. a hot coffee. I didn’t want to substitute regular Coke to wean myself, because I won’t ever get off of soda then. Maybe some fizzy water might help break the cold and fizzy on the tongue thing. I was totally off of DP for several weeks and then started again when stressed. So now I get to kick all over again. I have started to prefer the taste of plain water, because once I stopped DP the taste now is pretty aweful. But still I buy one, have a few sips, and say blech this tastes like garbage.

TrailGrrl

5. Judy @ Judys Traditional Cooking says

I made this today when the thermometer read 92. It’s just wonderful. It’s unique and I’ve never tasted anything like it before. I’m thinking a green chai tea would be excellent this way using the spices that I believe you posted around Christmastime.