Chilled Avocado and Cucumber Soup

It’s been very warm around our area recently, and the weather has started changing my menu a lot. We love soups and stews in the winter, but not quite so much in the hot summer months. But what if the soup was chilled? Last year I tried (and really enjoyed), this White Gazpacho with Peppers and Cucumbers.This year I decided to try a chilled avocado soup and also loved it! I kept everything clean and simple so that the creamy flavor of the avocado shone. Brightened with lemon juice, and flavored with cumin and cilantro, this is an extremely easy soup to throw together.  I used homemade chicken stock so that I got all of those important minerals (like calcium) and good for you gelatin, without having to overheat myself, though you could also use water. I found that I liked it a lot more with  added cubed cucumbers, cilantro, and sunflower seeds. But you can serve it however you like.

I also didn’t add green onions or grated onions and garlic (which you certainly could), just because I wanted a very mild soup. If you want to spice it up a bit more, add just a little grated onion (remember it’s raw!) and garlic, and maybe some cayenne powder too. While I really liked this soup, my husband and daughter (who is 3), were a little less enthusiastic. Chilled soup just isn’t their thing. It just meant more leftovers for me to enjoy. 🙂 What about you? Have you tried chilled soups before? What’s been your reaction? Do you like them or not?

Simple Chilled Avocado and Cucumber Soup
Serves 4
I let my soup chill all afternoon so that the flavors had time to meld.

3 small avocados
    1 small cucumber, seeded and peeled
    Small handful of cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    Juice of one lemon
    2 cups of homemade chicken stock (unsalted)
    1 teaspoon salt

Puree all of the ingredients in a blender and chill. Before serving, thin out with ice water if needed or desired, and salt and pepper to taste. You can also adjust with more lemon juice or cumin as desired. Serve with toasted sunflower seeds (our favorite), cubed cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados, chopped cilantro, or whatever catches your fancy.

Comments

This looks really good to me! I made a chilled cucumber soup last summer and I loved it. My husband really wasn’t that fond of it, though

Oh, I’m definitely making this dish this afternoon once I get more avocados! I just started the Maker’s Diet (Jordan Rubin), and today is my first day! I cannot have grains or raw cows milk/dairy products for the first 14 days. This dish sounds perfect for this phase! I have Crohn’s disease, and I’ve already cut my medication by 50%. I’m noticing HUGE differences by eating traditionally. I hope to eventually be med free! Thanks for such a satisfying, healthy recipe! (P.S. Do you know if eating more traditionally can alter your cycles? The past two months I’ve started on day 23, which is about a week early for me. This past cycle was very light w/minimal cramping!)

• Erin says

I couldn’t answer that for sure, but since starting to eat more “real” food about 1-2 months ago, my cycles have been a lot easier on me. The last one was with minimal cramping, PMS, and other normal yuckiness from that time of the month. In my opinion, the food that has a lower impact on your endocrine system (ie organic, real foods) would make a lesser impact on your cycle because you aren’t messing with hormones with what you eat when they are already going a little crazy.

Thanks, Erin! It does make sense. I just realized, too, that I’m probably doing much better now b/c we’re eating grass-fed beef and pastured chicken and eggs, which don’t have all the antibiotics and hormones that factory-farmed animals have! I hope it’s diet-related!

Traci,

Good luck with the Maker’s diet! I’ve heard great things from those who have tried it. I have heard of some people who do experience much better cycles with eating better, though I haven’t personally read up on it. :–)

I’ve always had the intention of making a chilled cucumber soup. To seed and peel a cucumber to me just seems wrong, and that’s why I’ve never gotten to it, even though my mom keeps sending me the recipes since she loves cucumbers!

This is definitely going on my list to make…we hit 97 today and it sounds like the perfect hot weather meal. And avocados are one of my favorites. I have friends on gluten-free diets that I am going to pass it along to, also.

I assigned each my two girls with a meal for this week. One chose a sandwich and fruit soup combination from Rachel Ray. The other chose a mushroom, spinach, and ricotta tart and an avocado/cucumber soup from Once Upon A Tart. She’ll be thrilled to see that you just made one as well. I love the addition of comino and cilantro!

Okay, so…. I’m PREGNANT!!! I guess the light spotting occurs in 20% of women when the egg implants itself inside the uterus. I had just a teeny tiny bit of brownish-ness yesterday so I decided I should get a test; it was positive! I’m about 5 weeks and 2 days along and due March 28th. My husband, Matt, and I are very excited and hope things go smoothly. I’m confident that my body is well-nourished going into the pregnancy, which is always a good thing! I’ve been eating lots of eggs, raw milk/cheese, grass-fed beef, smoothies, sourdough pancakes, sprouted bread, and high quality hemp, coconut and olive oil. I also take Carlson’s cod liver oil and Juice Plus. I feel great so far and hope to avoid morning sickness. My avocados are perfectly ripe today, so I will be making the soup this afternoon. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Hi Kim, just found your WEB site and like what you are doing with your recipes and healthy eating tips, Great!. We will be adding you as a helpful blog on our WEB site and would love it if you would do the same for us. We do offer recipes and cooking tips. Our major focus is the chemicals found in processed foods and how people can avoid them by cooking from scratch and making better choices in where and who the buy from. Your site will offer our readers more options, thanks.

John

This sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it, especially with the toasted sunflower seeds, cucumber chunks, green onion, and a little extra dusting of cumin on top.
    I’m also grateful for recipes that don’t require the stove or oven at this time of year!
    Thanks!

9. Tina~ says

Yummy!…
    I’d say more but we’re too busy eating this.
    What a great recipe!

Congratulations Traci!

Now I need some really great recipes for summer squash.

I don’t think I have ever tried chilled soup. But, this recipe sounds too awesome not to try. I am a HUGE fan of avocados and cucumbers so I will make this soon!

11. Jakki says

Wasn’t sure how I would feel about this but everyone, husband and 5 kids gobbled it up! Very excited to find a cold way to incorporate stock this summer. Thank you.