Pennywise Platter Thursday

It’s time to share your frugal and nourishing tips and recipes! Where do you shop for quality food at a lower price? What recipe saves a penny? How do you balance a budget with nourishing food? Share here.

If you would like to participate please take note of the following guidelines.

1)Link to this post in your blog post

2)Using the Mr. Linky, link back to your specific post, not just your blog.

Example of Format
Your Name: Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet (6 Tips for Eating Frugally)
Your URL: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/6tips

3) Keep the ingredients nourishing and frugal!

Pennywise Platter Thursdays Participants

1. Spinach Nut Onion Mushroom Quiche
2. Meal in a Muffin
3. Jason@JLHealthTulsa (GF Fish Tacos)
4. Marinated Radish Salad (The Local Cook)
5. Kari @ Eating Simply (Guava Iced Tea)
6. Kara says eat your weeds!
7. Do You Have A Recipe Binder? {Like a Bubbling Brook}
8. GRAIN FREE LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFINS (The Healthy Home Economist)
9. Moms For Safe Food – Organic Raspberry Bars
10. Easy To Be Gluten Free – Mexican Corn Casserole
11. Health Home and Happiness (Growing a Kombucha Mother!)
12. ElizabethG (Marinated Carrots)
13. Shirley @ gfe (Cucumber Chickpea Bruschetta)
14. 10 Exciting Posts on Detox (The Nourished Life)
15. carmenPebble Crossing (Cold Beet Salad)
16. Cecilia @ CottonwoodCottageFarm (Frozen Yogurt)
17. Todd @ Primal Toad (2 Primal/Paleo Smoothie Recipes)
18. 10 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR FARMER – Kitchen Stewardship
19. Stephanie @ Hope for Healing- “Green” Meatballs and Farmer’s Market Love
20. Jenna @ Food w/ Kid Appeal Red, White & Blue Fruity Nutty Salad
21. Diane@The W.H.O.L.E. Gang-Individual Lasagna-NO gluten, dairy, soy
22. One Frugal Foodie (Watermelon Recipes!)
23. Leala Danninger
24. Kate @ Modern Alternative Mama (Zucchini Lemon Poppy Seed Bread)
25. Meagan – Basic Salad Dressing, yum!
26. Eat From Your Pantry – “Wheat Thins”

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

KimiHarris

Comments

This recipe is for the We Are Going on a Picnic, if you have seen it. If not, you will find it on many blogs with great recipes. Loads of fun. Join in next year, unless you have and I don’t have your letter, yet.

Do you have the HTML for a badge? I would love to put you on my blogs. I just took what I had off of My Sweet and Savory and I am starting all over. If you do have one, please let me know. Thanks. Chaya

Hi Kimi,

This comment is unrelated to your specific post but related to your blog in general. I stumbled across your blog tonight and wanted to let you know that I was delighted to see that we have some things in common. I am a follower of Jesus Christ, which it appears you are too, I have a tight budget and seek to feed my family nourishing organic foods affordably, and I also have a husband who just graduated from seminary after 5 long years working towards a masters of divinity in preparation for being a worship pastor. It appears your husband is a musician too! :) Well, I would like to have posted this privately but apparently don’t have the computer skills to find your contact info, so here’s my email for all the world to see!

It was a pleasure to find your email, I think you and your family are just adorable and I will enjoy peeking into your blog as you walk this journey of grad school, ministry, and mothering.

Blessings to you and yours,

Valerie Gorman

I linked up Cucumber Chickpeas “Bruschetta.” These are a wonderful appetizer (or a light meal), great way to use one’s garden veggies or fare from the farmers’ market, and a fun way to get kids involved in the kitchen, too. We had so much fun making and eating our bruschetta!

Shirley

Whew. I spent a month researching detoxification and found lots of good info. I recently did a post round-up so all the detox posts from June could be found easily. We’ve got great stuff on food additives, toxic cookware, the coconut oil detox, heavy metal cleansing and much more!

As much as I love cold beet salad with oil and vinegar, there are a few that don’t have a liking for beets. I am surprised however, there are more that love it than not! Here is one of my mom’s favorites.
    ~blessings

7. Beth says

BEEF STEW WITH GARLIC SCAPES & LAMB’S QUARTERS

Here’s a recipe I just made up, for anyone who still has garlic scapes, plus yummy nutritious lamb’s quarters. One man’s weed is another’s stew!

1 lb stew meat
    4-6 small red or yellow potatoes, cut in ¾ inch cubes
    1 small onion, diced
    4-5 carrots, cut in ¾ inch pieces
    ½ to 1 bunch garlic scapes, cut into 1 inch pieces
    Several handfuls lamb’s quarters, roughly chopped
    1 28oz can diced tomatoes
    ¼ cup red wine
    1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
    1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
    Several small fresh sprigs thyme
    Plus a bundle garni tied with kitchen string containing several bigger sprigs rosemary, thyme and oregano (if you have it growing in your garden)
    1 ½ tsp coarse sea salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    A sprinkle hot chili flakes
    2 cups water or stock
    1 Tbs arrowroot or potato starch in a slurry with a little water

Place all ingredients in roaster oven/slow cooker.
    Turn to 350 for about 15 minutes to start, and then reduce to about 250 for overnight or the rest of the day.
    Continue cooking on low for 7-10 hours.