Homemade Creamy Tropical Popsicles

tropicalpopsicle
We just made our first popsicles of the season. I know it’s not summer yet, and we truthfully haven’t been having the best of weather, but it was time. And boy, were they enjoyed! Elena and her cousins (and myself) loved these creamy, mild popsicles sweetened entirely with fruit and blended with coconut milk. Yum!

Making your own popsicles is the best. It’s generally very inexpensive and easy to do too. Some of those “all fruit” popsicles are just plain expensive. If you have some leftover smoothie, it makes the perfect popsicle too. So a lot of our popsicles during the summer are simply leftover smoothie!

This time, I used one of our favorite smoothie combo’s, mango, banana and coconut milk. That’s all, if you don’t count the water. Just three ingredients. That’s what I call simple.

And I loved using my new stainless steel popsicle mold I received!

popsiclemold

I made these using the absolutely wonderful popsicle molds from The Tickle Trunk, who kindly sent me a sample set to try out. They are 18/8 stainless steel (both lids and molds) and beautiful. And look at the great stand they sit in! They are super easy to use too. For all of those plasticaphobes out there, like me, this is a great, high quality alternative.

popsiclemold2

But, no matter what you freeze these in, they are tasty!

Creamy, Tropical Popsicles

About 1 1/2 cups of cubed mango, fresh or frozen
    1 large banana
    1/2 cup of full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
    1/2 cup of water, plus more if needed or desired.

Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed and add water to thin down as desired. How many popsicles this makes will depend on what mold you use. This made 6 using The Tickle Trunk’s mold, double if needed. (It made 1 1/2 cups of liquid).

KimiHarris

Comments

… my boys took one look at the picture of Elena and decided popsicles were on the menu for snack today… :) The mango/coconut blend is one of our favorites, too… although I’ll usually throw some shredded coconut in for texture ;)

2. Rachel J. says

My sister just made some with cooked cauliflower, strawberries and coconut milk. Her kids beg for them and mine gobbled them up. We’ve also done kale smoothies and popsicles, although I’m trying to not do too much raw kale these days.

Annie, Kale is easier to chew and digest when fully cooked and also, more importantly, when cooked substances in kale that can harm the thyroid are neutralized. If you eat plenty of seafood and get enough iodine in your diet, it is not a problem. Most people are deficient in iodine, though, and uncooked kale can further that problem as it’s substances compete with iodine for receptors.

3. Annie says

We just made our own popsicles and used blueberries, strawberries, honey, and water. I was trying to think of a way to pack more nutrition into them, and LOVE the idea of coconut milk. I’m wondering: does the fat seperate out?

4. April says

Yum! I have a couple dozen cans of coconut milk I was wondering how I’d use up, lol! (great deal when we were traveling recently) I’m sure we’ll love this!

5. Susan says

Those sound wonderful!! I just sold my plastic popsicle molds at a yard sale on Saturday, so I’m going to head over to The Tickle Trunk to check out those stainless steel molds. Thanks! :D

An addition, to make them more “dripless,” use dissolved plain gelatin. 1 pkt. per recipe. Also, yogurt mixes in well. And any other fruits or berries. With fruit juice instead of water. It’s one of those kinds of recipes that you can pretty well customize any way at all. If you don’t have those wonderful molds, use small juice glasses. Cover with foil and poke a small butter knife or long-handled baby spoon through to hold it in the center. Healthy, happy treats!

7. Dani says

“plasticaphobes…” Wow, I’ve been pigeon-holed! I wonder if there will be a new and official diagnosis in the not too distant future; I definitely have it! Thanks for the source for popsicle molds.

These smoothies sound wonderful; I definitely need to find a source of coconut milk!

So Delicious now makes a refrigerated coconut milk (no more BPA in can linings worry!), my Whole Foods carries it. We also use yogurt or kefir in ours!

8. Natalie says

Finally, a use for my husband’s shot glass “collection.” Popsicle molds! Thanks for the great recipe – I’ve actually got 1/2 cup of coconut milk in the fridge, waiting for a use.

9. Lisa says

I need to add those molds to my wish list! I’ve been doing mostly homemade raw-cream ice cream lately, haven’t gotten to the popsicles yet this year.

10. Selena says

We love making these kinds of popsicles! My kids don’t care for the tropical recipe as a smoothie, but they’ll gobble it up as a popsicle! I use bananas, coconut milk and oranges! Coconut oil would be good in it too.

My husband is a popsicle and frozen fruit fanatic. He is always warm so he likes foods to cool him down. He was so excited when I told him about these popsicle molds. I didn’t want to use the plastic molds because I am trying to reduce our plastic use as much as possible. Stainless steel popsicle molds is really good news! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I wonder how the kids enjoy fzoren treats in the winter, but they don’t seem to be affected by the cold at all. Ah, to have the metabolism of youth again!Your pate sounds yummy, I make one with walnuts that I eat on tomato slices with sprouts!

These look wonderful! I’m doing a healthy frozen treats round up post for Stephanie at Keeper of the Home and plan to include a link to these. Hope it brings some new friends your way! I truly enjoy all the wonderful inspiration and encouragement your site provides. Many blessings to you, Kelly