Bacon, Egg and Avocado Salad

baconeggsalad

Last week, I shared a simple new favorite soup of ours. This week I wanted to share a favorite salad. This salad is loaded with hard boiled eggs (which some of you may have a few extra after this weekend!), bacon and avocado for a rich and satisfying light main salad or side salad. The eggs break down in the dressing a bit, making it more creamy and flavorful (oh-so-good), the avocado adds richness and good fats, and who doesn’t like bacon?!

It’s a nice lighter main dish salad too that really doesn’t cost much per serving. While I do try to buy my avocados organic, if the cost is prohibitive, they are one of the better fruits (I believe they are considered fruits not vegetables) to buy non-organic. And with the eggs,  bacon and avocado, it has a pretty fair amount of high quality protein and fat. If you are vegetarian, eggs and avocado are good too.

I have been making salads like this since the first year of our marriage and it’s always remained a favorite of ours. And while not quite the quintessential Easter salad, it would do nicely in our humble opinion. Speaking of Easter, I plan on posting some links to Easter friendly recipes on Friday and would love to have you share yours too.

Meanwhile, here’s the recipe.

Bacon, Egg, and Avocado Salad Serves 4 main dish servings or 6-8 side servingsI’ve done a bunch of different dressings with this salad. Right now I am generally using my Everyday Salad Dressing, so that’s what listed below. But a balsamic, red wine vinegar or creamy ranch style dressing all work very well too.

1 head of dark green lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite sized pieces
1-2 large avocados
4-6 slices of bacon
6 eggs
Everyday Salad Dressing

1-Place all of the eggs in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, covered. As soon as the water starts to boil. Take off of the heat, keep covered, and let sit for 15 minutes. Run cold water over the eggs to stop the cooking process and to prevent discoloration. Crack and peel the eggs and then chop into bite sized pieces.

2-While the eggs are cooking, cook the bacon. For stove top cooking, I use a large pan over medium high heat. Cook one side until browned and crispy, turn over with a fork or tongs. Cook the other side until browned and cooked all the way through. Or for oven cooking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon on a jelly roll pan and cook for 8-15 minutes (length of time will depend on bacon thickness). Watch carefully.

Once cooked, remove from pan or jelly roll pan, cool slightly and crumble into bite sized pieces.

3-Peel and dice avocados.

4-Put the lettuce in a large bowl and sprinkle the eggs, bacon and avocados over it. Dress with the salad dressing of your choice and serve.

Comments

This has all my favorite foods together in one salad! I doubt we’ll be using our leftover Easter eggs, though, because we can’t use our super nutrient-dense eggs from the farm to decorate since they’re brown. :) I always buy white grocery store eggs for coloring and end up tossing them because some of the dye often gets down to the egg white.

Happy Easter everyone!

Kelly

Kimi, this sounds great. Do you have a source for turkey bacon that does not have nitrates/nitrites in them. I guess as natural of a turkey bacon as possible for those of us who LOVE bacon, but would choose not to eat pork ;-)

Kimi, this post was perfectly timed. I had my broccoli/red onion/bacon salad already mixed together before I saw your post. Now I have broccoli/red onion/bacon/egg/avocado salad. Oh Yum.

P.S. to previous comment. FRUGAL IDEA: I buy conventional avocados at StuffMart when the price goes really low. I peel, quarter, and freeze them (separated at first…muffin tins work well). I just defrost what I need as I need it.

Kimi, off topic:

I noticed that you checked out MyNanny. Any comments or suggestions? I can’t wait to be back in the saddle, so to speak, as official diaper changer and nose wiper! I waited quite a while for my prior position to materialize, so I know that somewhere there is a home that needs me!

Love your blog. Have NEVER been disappointed with any recipe that I have tried. My friends have learned to ask, when I prepare a new dish, “Did you get this off that blog you like so much?”

Grace & Peace, Heidi

6. Anna C. says

I made salad last night with grilled chicken (and a little barbeque sauce), and hard boiled egg. I was out of avocado and bacon, so I figured I’d just do the chicken. I made your dressing which is going to be my new everday dressing as well. My husband and I stopped buying dressing over a year ago, best decision we ever made. It’s so fun to explore different ideas. I’ve made a Gorgonzola Vinaigrette that was so delicious! It goes great with grilled chicken and orange wedges over mixed greens =)

HI, I was on my way here to tell you how much I enjoy your blog and love this linking because it has so much of value.

I discovered that #3, which is mine, was not linking properly so I added it again, hopefully working. Could you delete 3, so people do not waste their time? Sorry for the confusion.

8. Martha says

Hi! For brunch today I made this salad. My mouth has been watering for it ever since you posted the recipe. My husband devoured it and we both ate way too much of it.

For my variations I used a few leaves of endive (in liue of the lettuce), green onion strips, a couple of artichokes portions (the Costco kind) and black olives. But the predominant ingredients remained. In fact I added probably double the bacon. The crispiness of the bacon enhanced the palatability.

When mixing I added one half lemon juice and olive oil plus a little of the pickled artichoke brine. I saved adding the boiled egg and avocado pieces until I was sure I was happy with the dressing, and then mixed lightly, keeping all ingredients from mushing up. (Like your picture!)

Honestly, what an unbelievably delicious dish! Thanks so much!

Martha {I’m Wardeh’s mom :) }

9. Susan says

This sounds fabulous! I’m making it & your Everyday Salad Dressing to take to our luncheon tomorrow. :D

10. Ima says

Holy Moly!! Last night I was browsing through your recipes and this one caught my eye. I’m expecting, which is probably why I became bound and determined to EAT this TONIGHT!! Absolutley delish… I added grated sharp cheese as well as some pieces of roasted chicken from the fridge as well. My hubby scarfed it down and the kids ate all the items seperatley – par for the course with them but who can complain, at least they eat it ;-)

I used your dressing recipe but used cold pressed walnut oil, a tsp of reg mustard and tsp of honey mustard since it was on hand and added 5 more cloves of fresh garlic. Oh, and subbed all the vinegar with raw ACV. Amazing. We’ve been so lost after leaving even “organic” dressings behind. Thanks for a wonderful solution!! Going to try your mayo recipe tonight too!!

11. Kim says

I made this for dinner tonight. It was delicious! I probably could have doubled the bacon… but we were all happy with it!

12. Kristin W. says

Oh this was so good! We had it as a side to some baked chicken 2 nights in a row.

The dressing is amazing. It is my new go to dressing.