Pennywise Platter Thursday 2/18/10

pennywiseplattertwo
I will make this short because I want to go watch the Olympics! Last week, I loved Mom’s For Safe Food’s recipe for Salmon Kedgeree because I love Kedgeree and this is a great way to stretch salmon (and you could stretch it out even more than this recipe does too!).

My addition to the carnival today is more of a time saver than a money saver. But since time saved in the kitchen is worth a lot, I am linking to my early-in- the-year Kitchen Spring Cleaning Carnivals happening on Mondays in March. I hope you join us!

What do you have for us today? If you would like to participate please take note of the following guidelines.

1)Link to this post in your blog post
2)Using the Mr. Linky, link back to your specific post, not just your blog.

Example of Format
Your Name: Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet (6 Tips for Eating Frugally)
Your URL: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/6tips

3) Keep the ingredients nourishing and frugal!

Comments

Kimi, my post today announces a new page on my site, where readers have access to a spreadsheet containing our weekly menus. I always think it’s helpful to see what other people are eating, to help plan my week in food!

coolio, I didn’t know you’d started a blog carnival, finally a frugal real food carnival! so tired of reading tater tot casserole recipes on recipe swaps. i have a new carnival too, called big words, little foodies on tuesdays. the spirit of that carnival is to keep parents motivated to feed real food to kids despite the complaints (and often hilarious) things kids say about food. thanks for hosting, I’ll be back next week for sure 🙂

This week I’m sharing a hearty winter soup recipe that is filling enough to be a meal on its own, that uses an inexpensive seasonal vegetable (cabbage) along with leftover meat from making broth – a 12 quart pot full cost me less than $5 to make!

Hi Kimi – I am contributing a super easy recipe for a great dessert – fried apples in butter with homemade yogurt, cinnamon, maple syrup, and sprouted nuts and raisins. So yummy, and quick to prepare! Thanks for hosting this carnival! 🙂

5. Tina~ says

I don’t have a URL/website set up…but I have a great side dish that is perfect for winter market organic veggie finds.
    I made an awesome side dish yesterday-
    Scalloped root veggies…
    I layered on thinly sliced celeriac, onion and turnip alternately in a dish I had greased with duck fat,
    then made a sauce with 3 tbsp melted duck fat, ( could use butter) sea salt, pepper, minced garlic and shallots, a touch of cumin and 2-3 tbsp of coconut flour to make a roux, then added 1 1/2 chicken broth.
    and let it thicken a bit, poured over the root veggies and baked at 375 for about an hour.
    it was SO good… I made a double batch to have leftovers, but the kids ate it all last night!

( you could use milkand regular sprouted flour above, but we have allergy issues)
    I basically followed a recipe for scalloped potatoes but used celeriac, onions and turnip instead of potatoes.

I didn’t post a recipe today but instead my story of becoming vegetarian. If it isn’t appropriate please feel free to delete it, but I do know in my heart of hearts that going veggie is a frugal way to go! 🙂