No Bake (Mostly Raw) Cocoa Macaroons

coconutcocoamacaroons
What do you do when life gives you three children three and under to watch for the day? Make No Bake Cocoa Macaroons, of course! The other day I was babysitting my sister’s two kids along with my daughter Elena and it was a fun but busy day. In the middle of it, I decided we needed a little treat and whipped these up.

I have been savoring a jar of Artisana Organic Raw Coconut Butter
and the other day I had mixed in a little cocoa powder and a dab of honey with some of the coconut butter to make a yummy spread. It was so good I thought it deserved to be made into some cookies. These cookies are delightfully rich and full of healthy coconut oil too.

Wilderness Family Naturals has a raw coconut spread that I am sure would work too (and doesn’t Tropical Traditions have something like that too?). This can be completely “raw” if desired, just use raw cocoa powder. I ran out of vanilla, but next time I will probably add a drop or two.

No Bake (Mostly Raw) Cocoa Macaroons Makes 15-18, 1/2 inch balls

1/2 cup of Artisana coconut butter (or raw coconut spread)
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1/2 cup of coconut flakes
    2 heaping teaspoons raw honey
    2 tablespoons coconut oil, gently melted

In a food processor, blend the coconut butter, cocoa, honey and gently melted coconut oil. Blend until well combined. Add the coconut flakes and blend until just combined.

Drop spoonfuls (about 1/2 inch diameter) onto a parchment paper lined plate. Place in the freezer ten minutes to firm up and serve. Keep in the refrigerator.

Comments

Mmm… we’ve been eating coconut flakes as a snack around here (the boys call them “sweet chips” :) ), and this looks like an excellent update for Moma’s snack. :)

…on a side note, I’ve noticed our newborn sleeps longer between feedings if I eat lots of coconut… always nice to discover! :D

2. Kelly Scanlon says

I just got a jar of Artisana at co-op and was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it (besides eat it out of the jar, which is really yummy too!). Thanks for the recipe!

3. KimiHarris says

One other thing that I forgot to mention was that to have this recipe be completely raw, you would also need to use raw coconut flakes. I know that Wilderness Family Naturals has raw ones (and they are the best tasting too), but I bet that there are other places to buy them too.

4. sharon says

I am always amazed at how easy you make it look to create these recipes! (Whether it’s a soup, side dish, bread, etc…) We generally don’t eat a lot of sweet treats, but I enjoy having simple recipes like this to fall back on “in case of emergency”. :-) It seems like ever since I’ve begun focusing on eating more nourishing foods my sweet tooth has gone away. Bonus! Plus, I’d rather save my eggs, butter, coconut oil, raw honey, pure maple syrup, etc… for nourishing meals– we feel it’s one way that helps us stretch our food dollars so that we can continue eating this way.

This reminds me of a Filipino candy that I grew up eating. I think I am going to try making this! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

These sound yummy! The other day I made cookies similar to these. Remember the no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies from our childhood? I used that recipe but substituted coconut for the oatmeal to make them healthy, more digestible and wheat-free. They were amazing. My husband liked them better than the originals (which is saying a lot since they are one of his favorite cookies!)

7. Jen says

I just got a jar of Tropical Traditions cononut cream concentrate yesterday (after reading all about coconut butter at Wardeh’s site), and I am so going to make these! Thanks!

8. Speedmum says

Waan! I don’t get coconut butter/spread where I live! I wish! I doubt it, but I’ll ask, is there a substitute?

• Karen B says

You can make your own. Just put dry coconut in a food processor for about 10-15 min. It really works. If you need to add a touch of coconut oil. It is amazinly delicious an easy. But be patient.

These coconut macaroons look great – such a simple recipe too! I use raw honey all the time and I also love coconuts. One ingredient I recommend for sweet healthy treats is lucuma fruit poweder. It tastes gorgeous!

Kimi, I just wanted to let you know that I went ahead and made these today finally. (Had to soften my coconut butter, it was hard as a rock) I doubled the cocoa…I love chocolate…and used 2 Tbsp. raw honey with just a splash of vanilla. They are amazingly good…maybe I should have made a double batch ;) Thanks again for posting these.

11. mom23 says

Kim,
    I use a similar process to make “Easter Candy” for the kids. I use the coconut cream and honey, blending in a corelle bowl over a small pan of warm water just until it blends, stir together with some pureed raspberries, blueberries or blackberries in different small batches for different pastel colors and shape into jelly beans or you can use an Easter Egg Candy mold to make shaped candy. I added some cacao to some for my son who is ok with chocolate.
    I’ve made chocolate by using powdered cacao, coconut cream and honey as well,
    can add soaked, dehydrated sunflower seeds, crushed almonds, shredded coconut etc. All make yummy “candy”- could even shape into hearts for Valentine’s Day.
    Dr. Natasha C-McB said small amouts of organic fair trade cacao are ok on GAPS once you’ve been on the diet and are established.
    Tina

12. susan says

wondering if a blender would work for this recipe? i don’t have a food processor (and don’t have room for one more appliance!)

13. Joelle says

Just saw this go by on my FB. Looks like I need break out my food processor and make the coconut butter spread. =)