Sweet Almond Cookies (Gluten, Grain and Dairy Free)

almondcookies
These simple cookies use only a few ingredients and are so delicious. Almonds are the main ingredient and flavor, making this cookies gluten and grain free as well as delicious. Slightly Sweetened with coconut (palm) sugar, these cookies are full of protein from the ground almonds and are perfect to pack in a lunch or to have with a cup of coffee after dinner. We served these to some guests last week, and they were well received (along with the caramel popcorn!).

But before we get to this delicious recipe, I have three items of news. First, I am thrilled to be going to the Weston A Price Conference this year! I am really looking forward to it, and if any of you are going I would love to get the chance to meet you face to face. Please drop me a note to let me know!

Secondly, I am speaking at a MOPS (Mother of Preschoolers) group this upcoming Wednesday at a local church. My topic is Frugal and Green living-looking at food, household cleaners, and body care. I still have some writing to do for it, but have really enjoyed preparing for it and am also looking forward to presenting it. I have enjoyed teaching cooking classes, so I expect to enjoy this thoroughly as well. Blogging is great, but getting face to face with people is nice too.

Third, I am going to be starting a new series starting hopefully next week! The topic? I am not going to say quite yet, but you can be reassured that it’s both frugal and nourishing (and yummy!). Look for it next week.

Now on to the almond cookie recipe!

Almond Cookies

These cookies are a bit crumbly, but delicious. Perfect after dinner treat. You will notice in the picture above the flower shaped cookie. I pressed some through a cookie press, but decided that the dough was too wet. They are pretty though!

2 cups of ground almonds-I grind mine in a food processor and I did measure after they were ground. This will be a coarse texture, which gives a crumbly, unusual but tasty texture to the cookie
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup of softened coconut oil
    1/2 cup evaporated coconut sugar (you could also use maple sugar or a whole cane sugar)

1)Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease cookies sheets (or cover with parchment paper)

2)To keep things easy, I add all of the ingredients right back into the food processor I used to process the almonds. Dump them all in and process just until everything is well mixed. Don’t turn it into almond butter!

2) Scoop out a rounded spoonful of dough, roll into a ball, and place on the cookie sheets (leaving about an inch between cookies). Press down with a fork. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the edges are starting to brown. Remove from oven, and transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Enjoy.

KimiHarris

Comments

Awesome. I’m rather fond of almond cookies, and I’m looking forward to trying some that are cloyingly sweet! :) And I have a cookie roller (I think it’s originally for shortbread) that would make really cute designs on the dough… Well, I guess I know what experiment I’ll be doing this weekend! ;) Thanks!

2. Natalie says

I have a work Halloween party today. And there is a contest to bring the spookiest food. I made these almond cookies, added some plain cocoa powder, and shaped them into a log-like shape, and am calling them Zombie Scat. I’ll let you know if I win! Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Anna says

I bought some palm sugar, and would love to use it, but it is now hard as a rock and stuck in its jar. Is there any way you know of to soften it?

• Marcy says

When I buy palm sugar, I set the containter in a pot of water and warm it on the stove until it’s soft enough to scoop out. Once it’s softened, I pour it into a glass jar. I don’t really like heating the plastic which is why I transfer it to a glass jar for future uses. I use a wide mouth jar which also makes it easier to scoop out when I just need a little.

Anna,

Marcy gave some great advice. We also try to buy a container that doesn’t feel too hard.

I realized though that I hadn’t mentioned that I used evaporated coconut sugar. You could also use maple sugar or rapadura.

4. Jennifer says

My business partner and I will be attending the WAP Conference as well. This will be our second. I think everyone in our office has been loving your recipes – a recent favorite has been the Almond Joys. Holy cow are they good. I’ve loved every recipe I’ve tried!

5. Lisa Imerman says

So is evaporated palm sugar different than the moist, harder stuff in the jar? I have a jar of palm sugar and I got it at a cooking school a while back. Where do you find evaporated palm sugar?

Thank you for all the wonderful wheat and dairy free recipes you post, I have used many of them with good success.

Kimi,
    These cookies look so great. In Spain, we make simple almond cookies for Christmas! However, I’ve never used coconut sugar. Where would you buy this at? Azure? Do you think it would be okay to substitute for honey? Really interested :)

7. Jean says

Hi Kimi –

So great to see the vote No on Issue 2 in Ohio on this page. I’m talking to everyone I can about it and hope that it is defeated – especially because of the impact it could have on our food sources.

I enjoy the blog. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes!

Jean

8. Nicole says

These are great! I substituted one banana for the egg which worked really well and gave me a cookie that was more moist. My daughter is allergic to gluten, dairy, soy and egg will finally have a holiday cookie to love! Thanks!

• RB says

Nichole,

I don’t know if you are aware that there is an egg substitute that is dairy free and egg free. My husband is also allergic to dairy and can’t eat eggs. Anyway, the product is called Egg Beaters. The original are the Egg Beaters Whites, which is described below.

While the traditional whole egg delivers a variety of important nutrients, it also contains 5 g of fat, 70 calories, and a hefty dose of cholesterol—about 185 mg per large egg—all of which are found in the egg yolk. Egg Beaters® Original has no yolk for a more nutritious alternative to traditional whole eggs. By removing the yolk, all of the fat and cholesterol—and more than 1/2 of the calories—are eliminated. Plus, Egg Beaters have additional important vitamins, such as A, B-12, D, and E, and other essential nutrients, such as folic acid and riboflavin. Each serving of Egg Beaters also has 5 g of protein, which is about the same as you would find in one large shell egg.

Egg Beaters are 99% All Natural egg whites. Then we add back in the vitamins and minerals that are lost when the yolk is removed. Egg Beaters are naturally colored with beta-carotene, so Egg Beaters aren’t just deliciously easy—they’re also naturally delicious.

You can use them in a variety of cooking concepts. Good Luck!

9. Iryna says

Ok so this will be my fourth batch in the last week… And this time I am doubling it! What a simple, yet such good- and good for you! – cookie!! Thank you for the recipe!

1. [...] Here are some other cookies on this site. Gingerbread Men Gingersnaps Spiced Macaroons (Gluten and Dairy Free) Flourless Nut Butter Cookies (Gluten and Dairy Free) Russian Gingerbread Thumb Print Cookies Sweet Almond Cookies (Gluten and Dairy free) [...]