Spiced Macaroons (Dairy, Refined Sugar, and Grain Free)

ng_spicedmacaroons
These tasty macaroons remind me of gingerbread and my husband of oatmeal cookies. They are perfect for this time of year! I think that they would make a great substitute for a gluten free, or grain free dieter who wants to have “oatmeal” cookies. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and sweetened with evaporated palm (coconut) sugar or rapadura, which has a molasses like flavor, these cookies are perfect for this time of year.

It’s been so nice to have some treats to send with Joel in his lunch and also to have on hand to serve to guests. I was recently watching a movie set in the 1930′s and realized how much more hospitable everyone was.

If you stopped by anywhere, you were invited to partake of something. This included tea and crumpets, a meal, or a cigarette/cigar and wine, gentleman-style. I realized that I needed to be better at being hospitable and really making guests feel welcomed in my house. And there is nothing like a sweet treat to do that!

Spiced Macaroons

I used NuNaturals Pure Stevia Powder. You could also just up the amount of sugar if you would rather not use stevia.

4 egg whites (about 1/2-2/3 cup of egg whites)
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 cup of evaporated palm/coconut sugar or rapadura or sucanant
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon pure stevia powder
    scant 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    scant 1/4 teaspoon cloves
    dash of salt
    2 cups of fine coconut flakes (unsweetened)

Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit , and cover cookie sheets or jelly roll pans with parchment paper.

1-Separate eggs and allow egg whites to come to room temperature (allow to sit on the counter for 1-2 hours).

2-In a very clean non-plastic bowl beat the egg whites with a hand beater until they are frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until the egg whites are stiff and keep their shape when you pull the beaters out of the bowl (when they aren’t on).

3-Fold in the sugar, stevia, salt and spices. Then fold in the coconut flakes. If it appears too thin, you can add more coconut flakes, a tablespoon at a time. The batter should be much thinner than a normal cookie dough, however.

4-I like to make these cookies on the small size, so I use a teaspoon to drop the batter onto the pans. Leave about an inch in between cookies.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned and set.

5-Remove them from the pan with a thin metal spatula, and cool on cooling racks. I like these best the day of, but they will also keep well for several weeks.

Comments

Awesome… I love the chocolate dipped macaroons from Trader Joes, but they are SO HEAVY. I think I’ll give these a try – with a chocolate dip ;)

Sounds PERFECT! I’ve been saving my egg whites and trying to remember to look for a recipe to use them up. THANK YOU for sharing the recipe. I will probably be making this regularly as we use raw egg yolks in our smoothies & oatmeal quite often… I just throw the whites out, but then decided to start saving them to make macaroons or something… now you’ve got a recipe I can use. Again, thanks!!

I just realized something. I don’t have cream of tartar and don’t know if I could find some here in Costa Rica. Can I skip it?

I forgot to say that I totally agree with you that in our modern world, we’ve fallen away from true hospitality. My parents are probably the only people I know that really take hospitality seriously. I grew up with that environment, but fall away from it. Now we are working on making our home more open and inviting for people to come over. It is hard sometimes, but rewarding.

These look yummy. I’ve only made macaroons once before. I like the idea of a spiced cookie even better. And I just found a local source for palm sugar, yay!

As a “pre-diabetic” I’ve been watching my sugar intake (as well as the family’s) very carefully – almost none – for several months now. I was so happy to “discover” palm sugar a few months ago and I use it as a sweetener for anything I bake for the family. I feel I can indulge a little as well as it is very low on the glycemic index. So, thank you for a recipe that uses it and I will keep looking for recipes using it in the future.

6. Megan Root says

Thanks Kimi for posting this recipe. They were SO delicous! Disappeared quickly and I can’t wait to make them again :)

Hi, I believe the “evaporated palm (coconut) sugar or rapadura” is incorrect. It’s not from coconut but from sugar cane. I’m Brazilian; I grew up eating rapadura and my elders made it. It’s delicious and we use it in so many ways.

I love your blog. Just found you when I was looking for hemp seed info.

8. Rachelle says

I would suggest not upping the sugar, actually, from my experience. I didn’t have any stevia so I added probably 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons of rapadura. The extra sugar kind of pooled down to the bottom of the cookies and made a sticky, hard crust-like edge that almost burned and made it difficult to remove from the pan. I think they would have been sweet enough without it, for my taste anyway.

9. angela says

I tried making these. But can you confirm whether it’s 2 C coconut flakes? They don’t seem to hold together enough, too dry. Have I done something wrong?! :(

Hey Angela,

Sorry you had trouble with the recipe. It is two cups of coconut flakes. Though I can’t say for sure, my best guess at what happened was that you over beat the egg whites and made them too dry. That would prevent it from sticking together well. You want the egg whites to be stiff, but still moist and shiny looking. Hope that helps!

This is really treat for ever demanding taste buds and it gives me another excuse for a treat, i have to take out some time and sit for this recipe, thank you very much for sharing this delicious macaroons.