A Frugal 3 Year’s Old Birthday (Spelt and Rosemary Cracker Recipe)

ng_crackers
Pennywise Platter Thursday is tomorrow! Get your frugal tips and recipes ready!

I wanted to have something easy to do ahead, frugal and fun for Elena’s recent birthday party, and I stumbled upon a fun and age appropriate theme-crackers!

Elena and I made spelt crackers (soaked overnight), making some of them spiked with rosemary for the more sophisticated palate. We brought a tub of almond butter and everyone else brought toppings for the crackers (cheese, deli meat, crab dip, salami). I think it kept both the adults and the little kids happy.

And the crackers were a success with everyone too! Because they are soaked overnight, they are easier to digest and more nutritious. It’s also significantly cheaper to make your own. And it doesn’t hurt that everyone loves homemade crackers!

Homemade Rosemary Spelt Crackers
I made one batch of plain crackers and one of rosemary. They were both delicious. This recipe make a large amount of crackers.

3 1/2 cups of spelt flour
    1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
    1 cup of water with two tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar vinegar (or you could use 2 tablespoons of whey, lemon juice, yogurt, buttermilk, kefir)
    1 teaspoon of sea salt (plus extra for the top)
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    2 heaping teaspoons of dried rosemary, if desired

1-The night before: Place the flour in a large bowl. Add the melted coconut oil and water and vinegar. Starting mixing with a fork or wooden spoon until it gets to stiff. Knead the rest of the flour in (you can do this right in the bowl if you want, or on the counter) using your hands until it forms a ball. It shouldn’t be too sticky, or to dry. You can easily adjust by adding a bit more water for a dry dough or a bit more flour for a sticky dough. Put back in the bowl and cover well. Leave out on the counter top overnight.

2- The next morning, flatten your ball out on the counter, using a little white flour, if needed to prevent sticking.

3-Sprinkle over the top the baking soda, salt and optional rosemary. Fold in half and knead gently until salt and baking soda are evenly mixed in. You are now ready to roll it out!

4-Preheat your oven to 425 degrees, and lightly flour a surface (I use a large wooden cutting board). I liked to roll out a quarter of the dough at a time, for more control. Roll out quite thinly (and as evenly as possible), using as much white flour, or arrowroot flour as you need to prevent sticking. The thinner you roll it out, the more crisp and crunchy it will be.

5-Carefully transfer over to a cutting board and cut out using either use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter. I make about 2 by 2 inch crackers, though I certainly don’t make them all the same size.

6-Place on a greased cookie sheet and prick with a fork. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt, coarse or fine, either is fine.

7-Bake for about 10 minutes and check. They will be done when they are browning slightly. Don’t overcook as they will become bitter. Cool on cooling sheets and enjoy! I like to store them in a glass jar on the counter. They are so pretty!

KimiHarris

Comments

Oooh spelt crackers! Looks great. My eight year old has really been loving helping in the kitchen lately and I think she would have fun making these. Thanks!

Victoria,

I haven’t been able to add a print thing to my blog yet. Hopefully some day soon! I suggest copying and pasting the recipe into a separate folder and printing it from there. :-)

These look really lovely, Kimi. I like to make spelt crackers, too. Sometimes I soak the spelt, and sometimes I use sprouted spelt – but they’re always delicious! I have no doubt that both younguns and olduns were content with this party food.

3. Heather says

You may eat these up so quickly that it is hard to answer this? . . . but I’m wondering how long these stay fresh stored countertop as you mention?

Heather,

They taste best the closest to when you cooked them ( I did them the day before our party and they still tasted great then). I just had the last few for a snack today, and they were still fine, but not quite as crisp as they were before. So that would be about 6 days old. :-)

4. Kimberly Loomis says

Could you use an alternative flour than spelt? I have celiac and am sensitive to spelt too. I love the idea of making our own crackers!

I know that some people make crackers out of a high quality almond flour. It seems like most people who do a grain gluten free do a mix (like sorghum, rice, and ?). I haven’t done a lot of gluten free baking, so I am not sure how to answer. Anyone else have any helpful suggestions?

Victoria–On my computer, I can highlight just the recipe, then choose “print” from the “file” menu. On the popup, under “print range,” there is a choice for “selection” which will print only what I have highlighted. (I have Firefox and Windows Vista.)

6. Kendra says

Thank you!!! You are my daily inspiration to try something new in the kitchen and this is just what I needed! I can’t thank you enough for the way you share your knowledge and recipes with us all. I added garlic and dried tomatoes along with the rosemary and love how it all smells!

I made these today to take to a party tonight. So good! This was my first time to use spelt–I liked what a nice, soft dough it produces and such a light cracker.

8. Deepti says

I baked these 1/2 and hour ago!
    O my they are really simply to make! They taste good. It was my first time baking crackers and am generally new at baking. I have a tiny oven and after laying all the cracker dough on my new cookie sheet, I realized I couldnt stick it in the oven! *Sigh* So I did it in batches in cake pans :) it took a LOOONG time! I should have halved the recipe, esp. for a first timer. I burned some and my crackers are not as thin as yours. I couldnt afford to be any longer in the kitchen with a 14 month old around.

I did make some variation because I didn’t have dried rosemary. So I added onion seeds to the dough because I love the taste of them in breads.

Thanks for sharing a SOAKED cracker recipe. I am always looking for soaked recipes because I have a hard time converting regular ones, am a novice to the kitchen! But for my little one I love experimenting and learning everyday! My little one had one right out of the oven after it cooled a bit. Yay!

9. Lara Sweeney says

Oh these look divine! I plan on making these with my almost three year old. Quick question – can you substitute a different oil? I only ask because I don’t have coconut oil in the house. Just olive and canola.

Thanks so much!

10. Charity says

Very good! I left out rosemary because some people don’t like it and I had to shorten the baking time so they wouldn’t burn (my oven must run hotter?). Also I found the salt stuck to the top better if I put a little butter on the top of each cracker.

11. Nina says

This is my first visit to your site. It sounds like a wonderful community of nourishing cooks! A friend passed a soaked biscuit recipe to me from your site and it was scrumptious. I do some soaking and a lot of sprouted flours, but honestly didn’t believe you could get good biscuits this way. So, thank you. (Sorry for the tangent.) I use sprouted flour in my crackers and sprouts that have been pulsed (I love the sweat flavor they add to my breads and crackers.) I will try the soaked version with the pulsed wheat sprouts. God bless as you seek to nourish your families!

12. Melissa says

I made these this afternoon and WOW. They are so good! They remind me of Wheat Thins, only much better. I’m new to eating this way, and your site has given me a lot of ideas. Thanks!

13. Linda says

Just thought I’d share an idea- could roll out w pasta machine.

And a question- what is a soaked cracker? Quickly read recipe so maybe missed it, but didn’t see a soaking step.

14. Billie says

I made these using white whole wheat freshly ground flour and oh my are they good! I made some with rosemary, some with parmesan, some with onion powder, and some plain. They are all awesome! My baby girl and I had a lunch of yogurt, milk and crackers smeared with butter. She loved them as much as I did! Thank you!

15. Rebecca says

Just made these. Very happy with them! The dough was very wet in the morning, although it had formed a ball the night before. I just added a lot of white flour so I could roll them out. Yummy!