Yellow Plum Sorbet

ng_plumsorbet
Refreshing and bursting with sweet plum flavor we love this simple sorbet. So easy to throw together too! Perfect for a weekend treat…..or a weekday. :-) Sorbets are so nice because the fruit they are made out of really shine and take center stage. A lovely way to enjoy summer/fall fruit.

You could definitely use any color of plums that you want, purple plums would look beautiful too. Or, you could make one batch of yellow and one of purple and serve them together! That would look stunning.

I used a light colored coconut sugar from our local Asian store to make this, but you could use whatever natural sweetener you wanted. My recommendation is to start with the 1/3 of a cup I call for and taste test. Depending on how sweet your plums are, you may want to add more. I like to keep it tart and sweet, so I wouldn’t over do the sweetener. It should be refreshing, not overly sweet.
ng_sorbet

Yellow Plum Sorbet

3 cups of halfed yellow plums (this doesn’t need to be exact)
    1/3 cup of coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
    dash of salt

1-Over a bowl (to catch any juices), cut the plums in half, removing the pit. Put the pitted plums into a measuring cup until you reach three cups.

2-In a food processor, process the plums with any juices caught in the bowl, with the sugar and dash of salt until well combined and the plums are completely pureed.

3-Stir through a fine sieve to remove the skins, and then make in your ice cream maker according to it’s instructions.

4-Allow to ripen in the freezer for about two hours and serve. If you have left it in the freezer for longer, allow to defrost for about 15 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. Dr. Allison Low says

Have you made this sorbet with any other fruits? If so, which ones do you recommend? It looks wonderful! THANKS!

2. KimiHarris says

Dr Allison,

I haven’t tried it with other fruits yet. Plums are nice because they give a great texture, but I am sure that other fruits would work well too. ;-)

Edible Aria,

Thanks! :-)

3. Peggy says

I haven’t tried this exact recipe but have made sorbets using all kinds of fruits. We used a bit more sugar but I think I will try this specific recipe with less sugar. The ones I like best are mango, peach, nectarine, plum (purple is what I’ve done), and strawberry. I make raspberry but it contains water as well. A friend makes an avocado “sorbet” but no one in my family likes it…

Thanks a ton for this recipe!! It will be nice to have during the middle of winter!

this looks amazing! where do you buy coconut sugar? i have never seen it before, and am always looking for non-liquid sweeteners for baking.

5. Aletta says

Jo, you can just freeze it, but you will need to stir it every half hour, don’t know for how long, will be a bit slower than in an icecream maker

Hi Aletta,

I would love to know more about making this without an ice cream maker (gotta get one of those!).

You put it in the freezer after making it and stir it every half hour from the freezer?

Any help would be great! Thank you!

7. Suzi says

Thanks for this! I just made this with purple plums and it came out great! I could not find coconut sugar ANYWHERE (we looked for two days) so I used organic sucanat.

8. Jessie says

I recently made a blueberry sorbet that was great – but the problem was how to clean my fine mesh strainer afterwards. It took days & days for all the skins to get out.

How do you handle this? I was thinking of lining it with cheese cloth next time, but would really like to know how you do this.

9. brycie says

i made elderberry sorbet last year and as they were sweet on thier own i didnt add sugar.i made 6jars and friends asked for more.its very tasty and healthy.love foraging and making lovely things out of what we collect.you find its alot tastier and healthier this way.we got loads of yellow plums other day so going to try making the plum sorbet.